Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need help deciding what to look for...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by snakemanc5, Apr 24, 2005.

1. snakemanc5

snakemanc5 Newbie

hi everyone,
    ive been wanting a big truck to work on and go 4wheeling in. ive got an 02' trailblazer but theres no parts for it and i dont wanna tear her up off road.

i want something with a pushrod, since i have no idea how to work on these new engines :mad: , and i want something big and tough. since im a GM guy i decided on an older blazer. i really like the models from the early 70's - mid 80's. but my problem is, i dont know many of the differences between the different models. i know id like to get one with the removable top, and i want to, make sure that when i find one i like i wont be getting a model that has some flaw that ill run into later on as i work on it.

do any of you guys have any advice on deciding what to choose? im looking to get one cheap with little done to it already. i wont be going crazy with the build since id still like it to be manageable on the hardtop.

any advice, info, links would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
    David

PS...im still searching the forums hoping to answer some of my own questions but im not finding what im looking for (but alot of sweet ideas for when i do get the truck). im might repost this in another forum here too if it looks like it might fit in.

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Well with older blazers, there's not much in the way of different models. 69-72 is 1st gen. 73-91 is second gen. 69-75's have full removable tops, 76-91 have half back tops. 70's models will have a greater choice of engines, but then because they are older, your less likly to find one that hasn't been screwed with.
    87, I think was first year for EFI engines.
    brochures.slosh.com

Umm..let's see, these trucks suffer mostly from rust, so look very carfully at the underbody, especially the tailpan section. mid-late 80's models came with 10bolt axles instead of the 70's models 12 bolt versions (or dana 44), I think. Most people here swap a 14bolt in back anyhow, since thier only a couple hundred bucks. Watch which transfer case your getting. umm..that's all I can think of for now...

3. snakemanc5

snakemanc5 Newbie

thanks 73,

i was wondering what models had which tops. im hoping to find one with a 350 and a manual, if i cant find one with a 350 already ill probably just pull one from somewhere to put in. as far as figuring out what its equiped with (tranny, transfer case, axles...) would the VIN be the easiest way to tell if it looks pretty stock?

im gonna try to get this around the top just incase anyone else has any input.

thanks again,
    David