Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help diagnosing a miss in my 77 Jimmy

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jimmydriver, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Jimmydriver

Jimmydriver Registered Member

Nov 30, 2005
    My 400 CI small block has a random miss. It occurs in neutral or under load. It can be heard in the exhaust and felt at the exhaust. It happens with the engine hot or cold, The miss sometimes feels like a single cylinder missing, other times multiple cylinder misfires in a row maybe 2 or 3, and sometimes the engine shuts off briefly maybe a ½ second or less and then comes back to life. When it misses you can see the engine jump. It feels as if the ignition momentarily turns off and then back on.

It has a Summit HEI ignition, maybe 3 years old. The plugs, wires, rotor and cap are new. The 12-volt supply to the distributor is consistently there even when the random miss occurs. Bad distributor module or something else?
  2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

May 26, 2003
    I had the same thing happen to me with an MSD HEI that isn't 1/2 as old as yours. It was the ignition module. I would think a coil might cause this as well. Try swapping a working ignition module or coil onto yours and see what happens.
  3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Jul 24, 2003

I've had a few pick up coils cause intermittent misfiring..I'd guess that could be your trouble,since it seems to be random,and not always the same cylinder thats misfiring..could be the module or coil too,or a wire thats bad or corroded..I'd check and see a full 12V is at the "hot" wire too..low voltage to an HEI can cause misfires ..:crazy: