Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help, Driveshaft?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Brocky, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

I posted this in another Thread but no response so I figured I would not hijack a thread and start one.

I have to get my shaft added too forsure and quickly. I rear ended a new Subura the other day in a snow storm and now have no car and my woman is about to born my second child and I need to get the K5 mobile asap.
    My driveshaft on the rear is roughly 8 inches too short since I changed over from th350 to sm465. Now right now I cant jack my truck because my k5 is supported for much needed floor repairs. Now my transfer case was a 203 and now is a 205 with a factory SYE. So the slip is on my shaft. I need to get this done asap and have no way of finding out by jacking it up and letting the suspension droop. So as the truck sits on the level with no lift how much of the slip shaft on the driveshaft should be in or exposed.

Thanks

2. desertrat67

desertrat67 Hawk Driver

If you mean that you need it lengthened, and you are having it done by a shop, just measure from the center of the t-case yoke(what would be the center of the u-joint) to the center of the axle yoke and the fabricator will know how long to make it. As for what i mean by center, the flat edge of the yoke where the straps or u-bolts would go.

3. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

No I want to make it and then get my Dads shop to finish it off. Ie welding, balancing. He is a welding instructor at a college and has the equip to do so. I just need to know about how much slip on the shaft should be exposed or would be safe sitting on the level with no lift. Thanks anyways. Anyone?

4. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I assume you are talking the slip yoke here. Just put it in the middle of its travel that should work.

5. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Thats what I was figuring would be good. Thanks man.

6. drivelineman

drivelineman 1/2 ton status

1 1/2 " off bottom is actually better -Jess