Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NEED HELP FAST! Can i drive 30 minutes away with a busted heater core??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by zakk, Nov 1, 2002.

1. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

I got water all over my pass. side, leaking like the Titanic. Can i make it 30 minutes w/o overheating or anything like that??? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. rogerwilco71

rogerwilco71 1/2 ton status

I doubt it. Try capping the line comingout of the radiater or atleast pinching it with vise grips...

3. rogerwilco71

rogerwilco71 1/2 ton status

well, reason a say doubt it, is because of one of my horrors of overheating...had and engine('77) over-heat in winter and ending up with a cracked cylinder. Maybe cause outside temp? IDONNO..

4. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

agreed, you will need to pinch it off or bypass it. I'd take the 3/4" hose off the heater core, and move it to the intake port (where the 5/8" hose comes from for the heater core) so that it effectively bypasses the whole system. All you should need is one flat head screw driver, and a little elbow grease to make it work. Top off the coolant, and drive with confidence... just no heat! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Good luck!

-Dan

5. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

do what krazie siad, just run one of the heater lines from the radiator to the intake manifold, it will just bypass the heater, it wont leak and will work just fine

6. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Another vote for Krazie87k5's idea. Been there, done that, and except for cold hands and feet, it worked fine (no harm to motor).

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah like Krazie said. Just loop the intake to the radiator and bypass the heatercore. It will be fine that way till you can replace the heater core.