Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help fast....on a car.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by laketex, Nov 1, 2003.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

So I'm helping one of my wife's friends out with a few minor things with her car...got them done, she's happy, i'm happy, and she says oh yeah, I've got this check engine light on, can you look at it? So dumbass me, I get my handy dandy little paperclip and insert it into the pin holes to run the codes. Fawkin clip gets really hot and I jerk it out real quick. I guess the pin order might be a bit different on a <font color="red"> 1998 BUICK REGAL </font> So now I go to check what i fukked up and found everything to be cool except the running lights, dash lights, ect aren't on. Whoops. Breakers and fuses are fine. Anyone have some insight into what the hell could have happened? I hate wiring issues. Right now she's driving my wife's car but we REALLY need to switch back tommorrow evening!

Bryan /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

2. Lonnie

Lonnie 1/2 ton status

Ever since the OBD2 diagnostics came into play (approx '96 &amp; up) it has not been possible to check codes in this manner on GM cars. You need a scan tool.

3. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

If all the fuses are ok, check your fuseable links from the starter to the firewall block (near starter). if they are ok and your fuses are ok then you may have burned up some wiring.

4. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Well I don't think you can use the paper clip on the Data link connector (DLC) here is how (I THINK) you can get the codes

Well this is from a code book so I have no idea if it will work but here you go..

This is for 1986-1992 Riviera I can't find it for a ...
    1.1gn off..
    2.Simultaneously press the OFF and WARMER/TEMP UP buttons on the electric climate control panel until "1.8.8" illuminates on the climate control panel and all the lights illuminate on the instument panel cluster..
    NOTE 2 on vehicles equipped with
    CRT display, Scroll to CRT menu and select the “CLIMATE CONTROL” page , press the OFF and the WARMER buttons until the CRT beeps twice or the “SERVICE MODE” page is present on the SCREEN.
    3.After the segment check had been performed, ECM trouble will now be displayed numerically from the lowest denomination to the highest on the climate control panel or the instrument panel cluster, All buicks models display the trouble codes on the CRT (if equipped) or the instrument panel cluster n models without a CRT.
    4.All ECM codes will begin with an “EO” prefix and will be followed by the suffix “C” (current) or “H” (history).”C” means the code was present the last time the ECM performed a self-diagnostic check.”H” means that the fault was not present the last time the self-check was done…
    5.If no ECM codes are present the self diagnostic system will display a “NO ECM CODES” display or “NO X CODE”
    6.After the ECM codes, the self diagnostic system will now begin to display the “BCM” trouble codes numerically from the lowest domination to the highest .All “BCM” codes will begin with a “B” prefix and again will be followed by the suffix “C” (current) or “H” (history) as described above If no BCM codes are present it will display a “NO BCM CODES display or NO X CODE”
    7.When all the codes are finished being displayed the self-diagnostic will display for the other subsystems such as the CRT, instrument panel cluster and the SIR system…NOTE 1 Because of the complexity of the remaining OBD system all further trouble codes diagnosis and system testing on the CRT. Panel and SIR are considered beyond the scope of this manual and should be performed by the dealer…
    8.To clear the trouble codes you must first select the system level to be cleared. Press the FAN LO button on the climate control panel until the system to be cleared (“ECM or BCM”) is displayed, then press the fan HI button to select the system..
    9.Second you must select the test type. Again press the fan LO button until the “CLEAR CODES” menu is displayed, then press the fan HI button to select (ENTER) the test type. A “CODES CLEAR” message should appear for 3 seconds. NOTE 1 This procedure must be done to system I.E both “ECM AND ECM” codes. NOTE 2 On the models equipped with a CRT display it will be necessary to press the NO button on the “SERVICE MODE” page to scroll through the system levels and the test types and then press the YES button to select (enter) the system levels and “CLEAR CODES” menu..

If you can get the panel to give up the code then post it and I will look on what the codes are...

5. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

obd2 does not do self diagnosis, the only 0bd2cars I have seen do it are caddys. You need a scan tool, code reader (like the one autozone uses for free)autotap ect.

6. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

allright, i'll check fusible links...and then if that doesn't work, i dont think i have it in me to check wiring....mechanic time? [darn] me for trying to be a mechanic on a newer car... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

7. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

some obd2 vehicles can flash codes out at the cluster, rangers for one will flash out airbag codes if you ground a connector in the passenger kick panel, etc, a lot of vehicles can do this function..

i would say check out the fusible links, and if the dashlights and headlights are out, have ya taken a good look at the headlamp switch?

8. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif Can't wait to get over there today... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

-Dan

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Lol he's gonna need more than a thread on CK5 to help him with this one. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

damn thing went off to the mechanic....i'm gonna pay for that mistake.

11. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status