Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need help fast!!! uncorked header...will it burn a valve?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by weisel, Sep 11, 2002.

1. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

Can I drive with headers only. I need the truck to go to school and can't put the rest of the exhaust on yet. Will it burn a valve?

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> It will be fine. I swould uggest avoiding compression braking, but even if you don't avoid it, it shouldn't be a problem. They're long tube headers, right? Not them little shorty ones? I'd be a bit more wary with the shortys. Open headers are fun, but I sure wouldn't want to drive every day like that. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif I drove on open headers to get my exhaust done. 10 miles each way, city and freeway, no problems at all. You get alot of angry looks, especially when the end of your header is 2.5 feet off the ground and 4 feet from some dude's window. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif </font color>

3. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

I had to drive for a week while waiting for mufflers to be shiped to me. That was a CJ7 jeep with a 304 and fenderwell headers. When I turned it off, I'd stuff a rag in each end to keep the cold air from going back up the pipes. This was in the winter in snow country.

4. sidslc

sidslc Registered Member

Nooo wont hurt a thing.