Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help fast!!!-- UPDATE -- Still need input

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazen91, Aug 26, 2001.

1. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

I just installed the ORD shackle flip, droped my t-case and the drive line angles are way off. Can I move my t-case back up and cut and weld the perches, which would put both angles at about 5-6 degrees? Or should I leave the case down and cut and weld the perches to match the case?

<font color=red>Land use issues.Get involved or all you will be able to do is jump curbs at the mall.</font color=red>

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by blazen91 on 08/26/01 11:27 PM.</FONT></P>

2. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

Re: Need help fast!!!

I installed an ORD shackle flip and didn't have to do anything to compensate for the angle. It's my understanding that Steve makes the new hangers so you don't have to adjust anything for the angle.

I would put the T-Case back up and test. If you still have a vibration, try disconnecting the rear U-Joint and rotating the driveshaft 180'.

Good luck,

Thomas

-- '84 K5 Blazer --

3. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I would put the tcase back up so the front shaft has less angle. Unfortunetly you might be SOL. It seems like everyone I have known that has done a shackle flip has had whicked vibe problems afterwards no matter what the angle. A CV shaft has fixed most of their problems.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

4. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

Hey there Mike,

I have the shackle flip and my angles were way off for a normal drive shaft. It was actually set just about perfect for a CV shaft, so thats the route I took. I now have a 1 ton CV shaft from High Angle Driveline. I am unsure of what the max operating angle of a standard shaft is so I don't know if you should run it with the t-case up or not. If you left the t-case down and cut and welded the perches it would definitly lessen the max angle that the u-joints are running at. I know I wasn't much help, but I am sure someone else here will have more info for you.

See Ya,
    Keith

P.S. I will call you real soon, it's just been crazy around the house with the kids starting school tomorrow plus all the "Honey Do's" and all.

[​IMG] <font color=green>Born to Drive My K5</font color=green> [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/californiak5>CaliforniaK5's Pictures</a>

5. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

I left the t-case down. I have stock springs, a 4" shackle flip and a 1" 0 rate add-leaf. The bolts that hold the u-joint straps on are hitting the drive shaft yoke. Any body had this before? If I take out the 1" add-leaf, do you think it will fix the problem by lowering the drive shaft angle? Do you think that if I had a new drive shaft with 1350 joints would fix it? PLEASE HELP!!!

<font color=red>Land use issues.Get involved or all you will be able to do is jump curbs at the mall.</font color=red>

6. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Damn Mike, I was about to get the shackle flip from one of the members here and now your scaring me away from it. I don't want to have this same problem. I think I heard that if you've got a 14FF it makes it even worse? Didn't Keith have something similar to this? What did he say about it?

<font color=blue>Esteban</font color=blue>

<font color=red></font color=red>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Estebans-album>Take A Gander At My Truck Here.</a>

7. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

I am really happy with the product itself, but I am not having fun with the problems. I think I would have the same problems with a spring lift. I wish I could afford the slip yoke eliminater and a CV shaft, but that is not in the budget for this month!!

8. Esteban86K5

So why is there a difference with yours than with mine? I currently run the 4in lift and I have dropped my t-case and I don't have this problem.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Estebans-album>Take A Gander At My Truck Here.</a>

9. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

Do you have a 208 or 241? If the legth is different, one shaft might be shorter than the other. I think it is the 1" 0 rate add-a-leaf.

10. Esteban86K5

I have the 208. I also have an add-a-leaf. But mine is the kind that goes inside the spring pack. It the second from the top and I don't have an actual measurement but I know it raises the rear more than an inch. The rear of my rig sits a smidge higher than the front where normally it would be lower. I hope you can fix your problem wothout the new driveshaft. Keep us posted.

11. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Before you re-weld the perches try out the angle with some angle shims. You would need to shim the pinion down. It would need to be pointed down 2deg more than the x-fer case output.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

12. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

If you are going to cut and turn the perches, then the angle on the axle pinion should either match the angle of the transfer case or be pointed directly at the transfer case.

Good things come in small packages. Good things come to those who wait. So, if you're waiting for a small package, that must *really* be sweet.

13. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

Do the fact that I have a 1 ton axle, I had to cut the perches to bring them in, so cutting and welding is not a problem. Besides, I already did that part!!

14. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I cut and re welded the purch on mine. NO Vibes running a full time case. Worked out great. Very happy with it. I run double over loads (the second upside down) for an extra 3/4 of an inch. Ramps 752 on a 25deg ramp. My limiting factor is the front shocks.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    79 Chevy Blazer, Her's
    70 Chevy Burb
    Grim-Reaper

15. i second the idea of running some degree shims. i put 2.5s in mine and it took care of most of it. i really need 4 degree shims though- just been too lazy to swap em out.

<font color=blue>Striving for K5 world dominance</font color=blue>

16. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

I have the 14bFF and 1350 yokes on both the tcase and axle and when I did the shackle flip I didnt have to do anything except bolt them on and go. I have had both the np205 and 203 and neither gave me any trouble as far as vibrations go.
    I'd look at the 1350 yokes as thats something you'd want anyways with a 1ton axle. Why add all that beef with the axle and keep the smaller ujoints? Hope it all works out. Oh and by the way, the tcase/tranny I got from you with the trade is working out great. No problems as of yet.

Crawlin the rocks with my K5
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.rockreadyk5.com>http://www.rockreadyk5.com</a>

17. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

The way I see it, this is a simple geometry problem (remember 9th grade?). No matter what you do to the hangers, you are still changing your pinion angle by almost 8 degrees when you do a 4"shackle flip. The lift and the angle change will always go hand in hand unless you move the front spring hanger down as well. You are lowering the rear of the spring 8 inches and leaving the front of it alone. How is that not going to dramatically change the pinion angle? The shape of the ORD hanger only adjusts for the shackle angle, not the pinion. This does not make the shackle flip a bad idea, it just means that you will have to do something (i.e. shim or cut and weld, etc.) to account for this. I like my flip a lot better than my blocks, FWIW.

The only advantage to blocks is that they can adjust the pinion angle very easily.

A spring lift affects the pinion angle completely differently than the shackle flip.

I have no idea why the ORD site states that your pinion angle will probably be "about right". It should not be true with any SWB Chevy. It should be about right for a CV shaft, really.

<font color=green>"It is generally not adviseable to eject directly over the area you just bombed"</font color=green>

18. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Mike,

Well, I tried different shims last week and I think I have it about right now. I started with some 4 degree shims but I still had the vibes (although much less than the day we were driving around by your house). Then I went and got some 6 degree shims, new spring center pins and put them in. I was very happy with them this weekend when I went up to Big Bear for the Big Bear Forest Fest event. All the way home I didn't feel any vibes! Wow, it has been a LONG time since I have been vibration free! The night I put them in I did feel a small vibe, but as soon as I put weight in the rear (trail tools, coolers, Power Tank, extra axles/driveshafts, etc) they went away! So, when i put my top back on I am sure it will be vibe-free from now on!

I say try the shims first and see what happens!

Keith

19. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Mike, this may be a dumb suggestion, but are you sure you put the shackle flip on right? Did you put the right one on the right side and the left one on the left side? From what I understand, they will both go on either side, but there is still a proper way to put them. If I recall, I read somewhere that Stephen Watson brought this point up. I just can't remember where I read it. Have you tried contacting ORD?

"Constipated people don't give a crap!"

20. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

That is a good point and I thank you for any ideas at this point. But yes, I did install it right.

I left to go work today and it made the noise alittle bit and then quit. It didn't make the noise all day, until I was 2 blocks from the house and it started again.[​IMG]

NOTE:
    After installing the shackle flip, if your exhaust pipe is aiming at your ORD Greasable bushings, they will not stand up to the 1000 degree heat. If you do not move your pipe, you will have to call Stephen and tell him how stupid you are and will have to order new ones!!