Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NEED HELP FAST ,wierd noise coming from the truck

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 96RAM85CHEVY, Jun 29, 2006.

1. 96RAM85CHEVY

96RAM85CHEVY Registered Member

its an8 5 chevy k20

factory th400,np208 and rear 14 boltff

theres a WIERD ass clicking noise from acceleration on up to about 30 35 mph,sometimes going around a corner can stop it,or start it clicking again.

i crawled under it and checked the u joints,they seem nice and tight.

one other thing,about am onth back,the truck was stuck in about 3-4 feet of water for about 4-5 hours before it could get recovered.

i flushed the front fluid,was milky as hell
    i flushed the rear fluid,it wasnt milky,buti changed it anyways,with 85 90 weight. thats what schmucks said it called for.

it only does it under power,it goes away if i let off the gas and coast. any thoughtS?

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Check your lock-out hubs and hub bearings and axle shaft joints.

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Just because a u-joint LOOKS good, it doesn't mean it IS good. I learned that lesson the hard way, brother......

4. 96RAM85CHEVY

96RAM85CHEVY Registered Member

well i know,but the severity of this just happened tonight,so i did the best i could without my tools and without any light,to the touch,it seems fine.

eh well,probably needed new joints anyways,think i might just change ALL of them,since about 80% of the joints sat in water for a good length of time.

whats a good joint for the front 10 bolt axle shaft joints,the front dshaft ujoint,and the rear joints?

how much of a beatch is the CV to rebuild?

anybody got tq specs and procedures for the front 10bolt wheel bearings,and the rear 14 bolt wheel bearings?

also,when i cleaned the diffs out,i BLASTED the hell out of them with brake cleaner and carb cleaner,could that have any effect? i know both diffs were completely refilled with gear lube,i just poored it in until it started to bleed out of the fill plug.

5. pin_it_to_win_it

pin_it_to_win_it Registered Member

the first thing i would do is replace the u-joints.