Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help fast wiring problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chvyblzr1977, Nov 16, 2002.

1. chvyblzr1977

chvyblzr1977 Registered Member

OK in a nutshell i have a 77 blazer the body was rotted so i found a 1990 blazer just a frame and body well i took the parts from my 77 blazer and put them on the 90 now its almost done and yes i will have pics so you guys can see but heres the problem i hooked up my battery its starts fine its the tailights are on and the turning signal and side markers are on now when you pull the headlight switch out the headlights come on but the taillights go off now did i install the headlight switch wrong or something also i have no brake lights are reverse lights please help i cant figure anything out.everything seems to be hooked up all the wires i mean.
    Thanks

2. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    Check you wiring at the rear of the truck,the rear taillt harness might of gotten pinched between the frame when you swapped bodies.Also check your fuse.I just had this problem,no taillts,I kept blowing fuses until I found that the wires were pinched when I installed a larger fuel tank.Did you use the '77 wiring&fusebox or the '90's.Did you use the '77 steering column,the '90 has the wiper and headlt controls on the column(the '77 has them on the dash).Check your bulbs in your taillts.Good luck and keep at it!Mike

3. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

Each tail light harness should have a ground wire that grounds to the body, be sure they are connected and making good contact, also be sure your bulb sockets are clean, it sounds like a ground problem with the tail light wiring.

4. chvyblzr1977

Where would the grounds be.I didnt tighten anything to the body yet.Thanks for your help

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The grounds for the tail lights are attached to the body at the corner of the tail light. Remove the lens and housing and there should be a ground wire attached to the body at one corner of the housing. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

Using periods, commas, etc. makes reading paragraphs easier. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. chvyblzr1977

Well i just got finished checking up there there are no ground wires on either tailight so if you could id really appreciate it umm i bought some wire today i was wondering if you could tell me how to hook it up i would really appreciate it.Thanks for your help

8. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

There should be some black ground wires in your tail light harness. You should have black wire coming from theree bulbs per side. These black wires should tie together with a seperate wire having a crimp ring. This crimp ring should be screwed into the sheetmetal inside the tail light housing. From the multiwire junction (all blacks) on wire should connect across to the other tail light and then to the main harness. Here is a schematic. Select "full size view" at the bottom to zoom in.
    These are courtesy of - mj - I believe...thanks!
    Tail lights