Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Help Fast!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by txfireman110, May 13, 2004.

1. txfireman110

txfireman110 1/2 ton status

I'm swapping the 350 out of my K5 and putting it in the K30, and vice-versa with the 454 out of K30 into K5.

What do I do about motor mounts????? I was told that 350 motor mounts would work in both trucks, but they don't match up to the holes where the 454 was??? Do I have to swap the hole support that the mount bolts to????
    Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

***also...., what about the tranny crossmembers???? I looked, and measured, and nothing is lining up /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif Do I have to get new crossmembers all together????????

Please Help before I shoot myself or my K5 /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

TTT sorry i cant help /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I think you should beable to use the same motor mounts, and I think you may have to get a new cross member /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

you need the correct motor mounts for what ever motor was original (bbc,sbc) they will work with any chevy motor.

5. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I was under the impression that you could swap a bbc and a sbc freely and that all the chev motor mounts were the same...

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

The steel brackets that bolt to the engine have the same bolt pattern ,but they are made in 2 different configurations--truck ones differ from passenger car ones,the bolt hole for the thru bolt are aproximately 1 inch farther away from the block on the truck ones.I have seen in repair manuals pictures of the pads that bolt to the crossmember (the motor mounts)being bolted into different holes for a big block vs.small block,but I've swapped in more than a few and never had to move them--cant explain why! /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My 6.2 diesel dropped right into the sbc motor mounts on the truck...I can't imagine a bbc being any different.

Rene

8. sr175

sr175 Registered Member

I just pulled out a 454 out of my truck and put a 350 in using the same clam shell mounts except I replaced out the nasty rubber for poly. Works fine as far as mounts go...