Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help fast...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlackDog714, Sep 11, 2004.

1. BlackDog714

BlackDog714 1/2 ton status

Ok, I have finished swapping in the TBI motor and I need to get a fuel pump. I DONT want to spend $150.00 (I will if thats my ONLY choice). What pump would work for this lowly TBI project that doesnt cost an arm and a leg?

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

eh? 150 bucks? For what kind aTBI fuel pump are you getting?

IIRC , my fuel pump was only like.. 30-40 bucks? Even the inline fuel pumps that dont have enough pressure for TBI's are 40 bucks.

3. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Is that just the pump price or is that the entire in tank assembly? If all you need is a replacement pump it shouldn't be more than $30-$50 at any of the parts houses. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. BlackDog714

[ QUOTE ]
    eh? 150 bucks? For what kind aTBI fuel pump are you getting?

IIRC , my fuel pump was only like.. 30-40 bucks? Even the inline fuel pumps that dont have enough pressure for TBI's are 40 bucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did you get your pump? Brand name? Part #?

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Got an AC delco pump. Problem is, if your doing a TBI conversion, and you dont have the proper sending unit in tank.. your gonna have some.. fun times! You cant just slap a fuel pump onto a non fuel pump styled sending unit.

Im not even certain that the lock rings are the same for TBI and non TBI gas tanks.

Assuming you didnt, and cant find a sender cheap, you can get an inline unit- they are called "universal inline fuel pump" - but they only put out about 5-7psi. If thats enough for you, napa, pep boys, and autozone carries them. (I've checked, they are all the same one, just packaged differently, made in Elmira(sp?)NY)

THe stock fuel pump is just an AC delco fuel pump, Believe its identical on most GM cars and trucks- Same as the Cutlass ciera, Buick Century, and other new GM "A" bodies (not the old GM A bodies, but the FWD platform). Just go to the autostore and ask for a 1988 K5 blazer or suburban. (1987 was the first year with fuel injection).

hope this helps.

6. BlackDog714

[ QUOTE ]
    Got an AC delco pump.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not looking for the in tank pump, I am looking for an in line pump.

7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

What kind of pressure do you need? I'm running a Carter 2-stage electric pump that pushes up to 6 PSI. Summit sells them for $59.95(part # CRT-P4070).

I've been running this model on my K5 for almost 9 years with not one lick of trouble. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. BlackDog714

[ QUOTE ]
    What kind of pressure do you need? I'm running a Carter 2-stage electric pump that pushes up to 6 PSI. Summit sells them for $59.95(part # CRT-P4070).

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunatly I need 15 PSI /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

9. BlackDog714

I did find a MSD fuel pump (Jeg's part number 121-2225) for $75.99. It will do 40 PSI but is says it needs a regulator. Doesnt the stock TB have a regulator in it? Is this a pump I could use?

10. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I am using that pump with my TPI system. You might be able to use it but I honestly don't think that they have alot of longevity in them. They are really loud too. I have not killed one yet (6 months) but the pump keeps getting louder and louder so I think it will need a replacement in not to long.

I also don't drive my truck daily so it hasn't seen a hell of alot of use.

TBI requires alot less pressure so the pump may work better in that application and last longer. TPI requires 47PSI where TBI only requires 20PSI. Should be less stress on the pump.

Harley