Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Help Fast!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kpanza, Feb 1, 2002.

1. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Dec 8, 2000
    Hi Guys,

Supposed to be on my way to the MDA Event right now, but had a small problem. Last night my alternator started going out on me again, so I went to put on the stock alternator in its place. Well, long story short, we had to put a heli-coil unit in the alternator head-bolt hole a long time ago, as the previous owner had stripped it pretty bad. Anyways, when I took out the bolt, the heli-coil broke out as well. I got pissed, threw the usual tools and called it a night (it was already almost 1 AM and I'm sure the neighbors were not amused!) ha,ha So, I just went out and I successfully got the rest of the heli-coil out of the head.

My question for you guys is this: Do you know if that bolt (3/8" I think) is a metric or standard bolt? It has either a 14mm or 9/16" head on it (they are both the same), and I for the life of me cannot remember if it was standard or metric threads?? It is an 87 if that helps. There is so much metric stuff on my truck that I am leaning that way, but was hoping that you guys would know before I head down to the parts stores when they open!

Thanks, sorry for the length! I am going to buy another heli-coil kit and need a new bolt (the end is all screwed up!)

2. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Feb 7, 2001
    It's a standard 3/8 bolt. Not metric.

Hope it helps,

<font color=blue>"When all else fails, read the instructions, or get a bigger hammer"</font color=blue>