Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Help Fast

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 86blazerk5, May 5, 2002.

1. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, When installing vavle covers and gaskets, is there a sealer your are suppose to use with the vavle cover gaskets, or are the gaskets enough? I am asking becuase I bought the Edlebrock Signiture series valve covers and new gaskets. But in the box with the vavle covers there was a slip of paper that sadi to use "Edlebrock Gasgacinch #9300" for cementing gaskets to valve covers or cylinder heads upong installation. Is this nessisary, or just a way for them to sell something else? I need to know fast becuase I want to install these this afternon. Thanks,
    Ike

2. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I usually use a thin layer of silicon on both sides of the gasket.

3. SVBlazer

SVBlazer 1/2 ton status

Generally speaking the gasket is fine by itself. However, the installation goes a hole lot faster with some permatex high tack sealer (97B). Us it on the cover side only....the gasket will stick to the cover and allow you to remove the cover without screwing up the gasket down the road....

4. 86blazerk5

Thanks for the fast replys guys. I am not going to put any on this time for the simple fact that i dont have any, and I have already started the job. But next time I pullthe covers, I will be sure to do it the right way and put something on them. Judging by the way this old gasket is breaking and pealing... I am assuming that no put any on the last time. What a mess. Thanks again.
    Ike

5. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

I like 3M Weatherstrip adheasive my self, never had a leak using it. Works great for nearly everything.

6. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    Yeah, untill you have to get it off!

7. 86blazerk5

Well, I'm done know, as I said above, I just put them on with no adheasive this time. If I have to do it agin I will use some. So far so good. I started it and ran it a little and I dont see any oil leakage, but it will take some time to tell for sure becuase the oil will have to collect before it starts to drip and its hard to see in there. The Edlebrock signiture series covers look a lot nicer the the stock black ones though... Thanks again everyone.
    Ike

8. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

What heads/ valve covers do you have? 86 up should have center bolt covers. The center bolt heads have a taller cover rail on them to help w/ oil leakage also.

Just curious.

9. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I love the gaskacinch! I use it all the time and have never had a leak.

10. 86blazerk5

Well, I am no es\xpert when it comes to engins, but, I believe it would have been 87 and up that had the centerbolts on the valve covers. That was the year they made all those big changes. The switched to TBI,... My 86 is the last carborated year and also still has the 4 outer bolts for the valve covers. I am not sure what kinda heads I have either actually. I dont know much about my motor. It was originaly a 305 carborated... The 305 died and I put in a 350, but the 350 wasnt new, it had about 30,000 miles on it and was out of a wrecked sports car. Thats all I was told from the guy that I bought the truck from. The truck came with the spare 350 when I bought it becuase he knew that the 305 was just about dead. I am summing that the 350 was out of a camaro. or firebird... Thats all I know. Out of curiosity, is there a number I could get of the bolck and look up to get the full story on this motor?
    Ike