Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Help Fast

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Stylzz, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Stylzz

Stylzz Registered Member

I'm in the middle of removing my rear drive shaft. 2 questions. How do I remove the oil seal at the back of the output shaft of the Tcase? and how do I get the old U-Joint out of the drive shaft and new one back in?
    Thanks in advance.
    Joe

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    How do I remove the oil seal at the back of the output shaft of the Tcase?

[/ QUOTE ]
    You need to remove the yoke first. That will require a large socket and large wrench. Use the socket to turn the nut holding it on and the wrench to hold the outside of the yoke (pipe wrench works good for this).

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    how do I get the old U-Joint out of the drive shaft and new one back in?

[/ QUOTE ]
    First remove the clips if any are holding the U-joint in. Then use a socket smaller than the hole in the drive shaft to press the cap out in a bench vise (hammer and punch can be used to remove old one if careful but dont install that way). But also use a socket that is larger than the cap on the opposite side. This socket should rest against the drive shaft and allow the U-joint cap to be pushed inside the socket. Then turn the drive shaft over and press the other cap out the opposite way.

3. Stylzz

Stylzz Registered Member

The yoke was a slip yoke and I already removed it. The seal I am talking about is the one that seals around the slip yoke where it goes into the output shaft.

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

For that seal just use a screw driver on the inside edge and pry it out.
    You can also get a special tool for it, it's cheap enough around $10.
    To put one in you have to press it in or gently tap it in slowly going around the edges making sure it stays square with the edge.
    IceMan

5. Stylzz

Stylzz Registered Member

Thanks I dont know what I was thinking I didnt realize the seal folded over the end of the shaft. I thaught it was inside and couldnt figure how to get a screw driver in there. I guess I should look at things more carefully before I end up breaking stuff. Thanks again.
    Joe