Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need help finding a temperature switch

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by beater74, Jun 18, 2003.

1. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

so i'm donig a taurus fan install and i want to hook up the low speed to a temperature switch mounted in the radiator so i will automaticaly come on when the temp hits 200 deg. i had planned on brazing a bung in the rad. and mounting it there. but i'm having a hard time finding one.

the only one i have found was in summit and it's a fix for the newer chevys that came with the 225 deg switch's and it's $39 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

the parts guys are no help cause i can't give them a make or model to look one up. and when they do look for one they can't tell me the on/off temps.

any part# or model you could provide might help.

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

3. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

HEEEYYY now that's fawlking great, you rule, if you were closer i'd give ya a big kiss /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Glad I could help. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

If you go to a auto elecric shop (or even some radiator shops) they will have reference books to look up differrent switches, thread sizes and temp on-off ranges. You should have 1 or 2 3/8" plugs on the block or intake manifold to insert the switch. Make sure you get one that shuts off around your thermostat temp. if its lower, it will never turn off. You can safely go to 215-220 before requiring the fans to come on.

On my ElCamino, which I did the dual winstar swap, has a switch with the following p/n stamped on it "619852 fan switch 5602" . It switches on at 205 and off at 185 and works real well but forgot the manufacturer. It was for a Ford.
    Heres a link for a bi-metallic ford switch that might be cheap bi-metallic

Heres some other links with fan controllers or switches.
    web page
    web page

Hayden makes switches that use probes that attach to the radiator fins but those kits run about $30-40