Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need help finding bumper..:(

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevy wrangler, Jun 16, 2006.

1. chevy wrangler

chevy wrangler 1/2 ton status

does any 1 know where i can find a bumper for my 1975 chevy that can hold a winch??? im kinda on a budget because im 16 and havent gotten a job yet!!:o i havent found one here down south. any advice would help thanxs!!

2. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

no one said you have to buy a winch bumper to put a winch on it...

for the back of my truck.... I bought a piece of C-Channel 35" long x 12" wide x 2" tall... 3/8" thick...... $40

opposed to the same dimensions from ramsey for $80... and mine is thicker... and custom... we like fabricated stuff :haha:

[​IMG]

finished product.....
    [​IMG]

flat bellied too
    [​IMG]

also there is a guy at the soccer field.. next season starts soon.... maybe ill try and get a pic.....
    has a stock front bumper.. found a mount somewhere that puts a winch in between the front frame rails... then mounted the roller in the front bumper.....
    both my way and his are cheap.. I dont know the guy and have never talked to him to ask him what mount he has up front...im going to do the same that I did in the back on the front of my truck eventually :bow:

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Ramsey made a kit back in the 70's and 80's to mount a specific series of winch inbetween the frame rails on our trucks.

-- A

hidden-winch-5.JPG

4. RootBreaker

cool... do you know a model number? or any info on it? I wouldnt mind finding dimensions and replicating it on 3/8" plate as the winches have gotten bigger....:bow:
    im banking on doing a hydraulic up front.. behind my dual tube front bumper.... :wink1:

5. dremu

My standard answer: look on my http://brochures.slosh.com/ page, wherein you'll find dimensions of the parts and instructions, etc. (On the left, pick the bottom option for 'Miscellany' and voila, Ramsey Hidden Winch :) )

I think I have CAD drawings of the parts I did up, too, if you want them.

-- A

6. RootBreaker

NICE YOU ARE THE MAN!!!
    I know you post this link all the time.. didnt know it was yours.... :bow: :wink1:

WOW after reading it... doesnt look like there is much to it... just some angle iron with holes to put winch on and a hole in the bumper.... doesnt seem that strong... wonder what a mile marker 10,500 hydraulic would do to something like that...

7. chevy wrangler

thanxs you guys are really nice, i shouds just cut my stock bumper and do what rootbreaker did but up front, you wont know onless you try!!!

8. dremu

Thanks. Man's gotta have his hobbies, ya know.

I figure the angle iron makes it stronger than just flat stock, and it triangulatesi nto the frame nicely ... it was a BEAR to get that thing in and out when I was installing it, I tell ya. This bolt must be loosened before that one must be loosened AFTER that one, or it will never work. :mad:

That said, I've only used my winch for yard work thus far :haha:so I don't know how strong it is. Ask me again after BB06, methinks.

-- A

9. chevy wrangler

10. RootBreaker

thanks man... yeah my truck aint no xtreme monster.... max flexer, high rollin on rockwells but it does the job....

years ago (1997) I was up on 12" leafs, 3" body and going with rockwells and 53's... nj changed their lift laws and I wasnt allowed to drive it.... I could trailer it...
    so I said screw it...

came down with the truck in 2004....
    figured that I needed to rethink my thinking as if I cannot go through the thick stuf I would have tried with the 53's I still need to mod myself to go around the stuff....

so first thing was max tire allowed in NJ... 38" tires.. true measurement... so I bought a set of hawgs.... had the guy mount on on a 9.75" rim and it measured 39".... then he mounted one on a 12" wide rim and it was 38.8"
    I called the inspection station and the guy said he would pass it as long as it measures in the 38.ish size.....

next was detroits front and back.. had a d44 and wasnt going to use that with a detroit.... so got me a parts truck for $500 on 38's .... took the d60 front, factory tach, rollbar, new 4 core radiator, dual tanks (to fix mine) and a few misc parts.... sold the 14bolt and my d44 for $250... so I paid $250 for all my parts.. gave the rest of the truck to my bud and he "lost" the truck....

next snorkel.... called guys up at 4x4connection.com and said.. if a guy called and said he wants a snorkel and has a 1987 fender setup on a 1978 chevy.. what would you recommend... he said he would tell him a landcruizer fj-80 would work (wouldnt guarantee it as it wasnt intended for a chevy but others have bought that one and not called back complaining).. I asked if he was ready for my credit card number.... it isnt cheap but looks nice.. my wife didnt want pvc through the fender look.....
    $300 to my door plus $10 carb adapter from junkyard from a chevy van and $20 from home depot...
    not water tight but waterproof enough to either put it in reverse if too bad or hammer down if only a few feet to go..... I am looking into a fuel injection breather setup now....

next years plans are as follows...

crew cab on my frame conversion
    shorten bed to fit
    shorted bed and frame from tailgate back (bring in about 1.5 feet)
    paint
    flapper exhaust up between the rollbar

rollbar is smittybilt I believe....

the tube bumpers are smittybilt.. were free to me too!!!! :bow:

PANTHER WHERE ARE YOU?!?!??!??! :wink1:

got my tube bumpers from Panther and my 2wd gear box for xover steering....

11. chevy wrangler

wow :bow:!!!u are my hero!!!every 16 year old needs one!!!mine has a 4" lift with trexus mt 31s, not bad 2 mess with. next plans are 1 ton running gears 6" lift and 38s!!!my project keeps me out trouble, and makes the parents happy, well sort of!!

12. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

If anyone wants, I have the Engineering drawings and installation manual for the Ramsey hidden winch mount that Ramsey states it fits 1982-1987 Chevy Trucks. So it should fit older trucks as well, although the mounting holes may be different...

Reply here with your email address and I will send the 3 tif (technical drawings) and the pdf(Installation Manual).

13. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

14. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Sent

15. wicked87_k5

wicked87_k5 1/2 ton status

16. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Can I get a copy of those drawings also please I am relocating my winch in the next week or two and loosing my cow catcher of a bumper:D

oops addy is irakinkead@yahoo.com

Thanks

Ira

17. 78GMCJIMMY

78GMCJIMMY 1/2 ton status

18. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

19. screamer

screamer Registered Member

20. TDTK5

TDTK5 Registered Member