Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Help finding the right differntial covers!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Tuskadero, May 23, 2001.

1. Tuskadero

Tuskadero Registered Member

Hi everyone,

I need new diffrential covers, the ones I have on now are crome. The front one is rusted but doesnt leak, I want to change it though. The back one leaks, I put a new gasket and sealer on it and it still leaks. I'm thinking about ordering the rear one from that Mag- Hytec company but there so expensive does anyone have any suggestions thanks,

Heather

2. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

For your leak in the rear you could try using RTV sealer only and no gasket.I do this front and rear and never have leaks.Just make sure the mounting surface on the cover is flat before you put it back on. For the rust on the front cover, try scrubbing the rust with some steel wool. Soak the wool with some car wax and scrub away.If its not too bad the rust should come off .Good luck.

All work and no beer makes Frizz a dull boy<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by FRIZZLEFRY on 05/23/01 11:33 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

3. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

You could use mothers. A lot of times that takes rust off. i don't use gaskets on my diff covers....just the silicone gasket maker stuff.

Imagine a cowgirl twirling a rope.
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html>http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html</A>

4. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

yeah gaskets don't work real great on diffs IMO. Just put a nice bead of rtv on the cover after you pull and clean it. Circle around the bolt holes and I usually let it sit a couple of minutes and kinda set up or get stiff, but not too stiff... that way it all doesn't ooze out.

Some people frown on the chrome diff covers cause they hold in heat. I'm gonna run them on mine... figure I won't worry too much about it cause I use sythetic 80W90 Valvoline in the rear anyways... plus I change it quite often. Alum covers will yield heat better... you can also look into the re-inforcing covers that screw in to the main caps to prevent flex. LPW and Summit sell these for about $130 or so.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

5. 77GMC15

77GMC15 1/2 ton status

Put the steel wool in some Coca-Cola that will get it right off. Try just a sponge if there is any on the outside of it.

6. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

the problem is most of the chrome ones are paper thin off shore stuff. i run danas with the thick covers and never have a problem with the gaskets except finding them.