Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help? F'n Truck won't start!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rocky91, Mar 22, 2002.

1. Rocky91

Rocky91 Registered Member

Need help? F\'n Truck won\'t start!

Went to start my truck this morning and it wouldn't start. I put the key in the ignition and the warning buzzer went off cause the door was open but once I moved the key to the start position it stopped and there wasn't anything. Nothing clicked or attempted to start. After that the warning buzzer wasn't even working anymore. I opened the hood and checked the battery, but it had a full charge, wouldn't even draw a charge when I put it on the charger. Is it possible that my ignition switch went bad?

For a little background, we have had an unusually mild winter and last night was the coldest night so far this winter. The only night the temperature dropped even close to 0*. I don't know if possibly something is just frozen or to cold to want to work. Too cold to even work on the truck for very long. Thanks for the input.

2. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

Re: Need help? F\'n Truck won\'t start!

The first thing I would check is the fuse. If it is bad the truck will not do a thing.

3. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

Check the wires going to the back of your Alt. This is where the power for the truck runs from in many situations.
    good luck,
    Mike

4. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

I think this happend to mine the first winter I got it. I think there was water frozen in the starter soleniod. I would look for problems around the starter/ solenoid.

5. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Two causes.... The afore mentioned starter problems, or the neutral/park start safety doohicky. Sorry for being technical with the name here. The unit sits on top of your steering column before it enter the firewall. What it does prevent the truck from starting when it is in anything but park or neutral. I belive it controls the back up lights too. The on my '81 is screwy and I have to jiggle it a bit and move the shifter up and down before it cooperates and takes off.

6. Rocky91

Rocky91 Registered Member

Got the truck started, thanks for the help guys. Your comments got me thinking so I went out a played around some more. Turns out the negative battery terminal is slightly stripped and came loose enough to cut power, guess I have to keep an eye on it and start thinking about replacing it. Thanks again.

7. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

Don't you love easy fixes!

8. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I had a problem similar to this awhile back. One night after work, I was under the dash installing a new CD player. Got up to go to work the next morning, went out to start the truck, and nothing happened. No click, no grind, no nothin. Checked the battery, connections were all good. I checked everything I coould think of. I had to pull out my Haynes manual with an electrical diagram and start tracing down anything that said ignition. Was already an hour late for work. Started tracing wires, and it turns out that while I was under tha the dash the night before, I had accident pulled the connector off the neutral saftey switch. Hooked it back up and it started right up. lol.....Lesson learned there. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

9. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Exact problem like mine, was corrosiion on the battery cable connection. When it happened though I was like WTF now?