Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Help for 87 Chevy Truck w/10 Bolts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by conoverbandit, Aug 12, 2003.

1. conoverbandit

conoverbandit 1/2 ton status

Hey Y'all,

I got a problem,and yes I know the 10 bolt's are the problem but besides that.My dad has a 87 Chevy truck short bed stepside, granny4,208?It's aluminum case and 10 bolt axles. Here's the problem.About 6 months ago the rear ring and pinion got 4 teeth knocked/chewed off it and and started making a racket.We pulled it down and found what was left of the teeth,nothing else seemed hurt so we got a ring and pinion from 4 wheel parts and installed along with new bearings.Ok everything's fine last week it started making a noise again.Sat. pop took the cover off and found 9 teeth missing in action this time!6 in one spot,2 in another, and 1 in another.Ok this truck does not go off road, pop uses it to pull a 1250lb. double axle trialer loaded with 2 commercial walk behind mowers.I'm going to guess around maybe 2,000lbs total.also on occasion a 16ft trialer with a full size tractor w/bushhog.THe point is we don't go off road,try to climb mountains/rocks with this thing and it's eating the ring and pinion out of it.THe guys I talked to localy say it's the towing that's killing it.Y'all think this is it?Also I have found a 78 K-10 truck with 12 bolts and dana 44 full time axles I can get whole truck fer $100. Would the axles bolt in with out alot or any modifactions?Pop's truck is full-time also( front has no lock outs) I thought these might hold up better then the 10 bolts......am I correct? I know we need to put Dana 60's under it but pop won't go fer that (done tried /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) But I need help here,he's getting flustered and talking about selling it and I like it and don't want him to. Any advice/help/idea are appreciated.Sorry for being so long winded but had to explain /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Thanks a bunch,

Conoverbandit

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

find a 14sf and put that in no modifications needed and you wont need new rims and is lots stronger than any 12 or 10bolts /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

find a 12 bolt or 10 bolt with same existing ratio, slap it in, call it a day, call your dad, and smile that you have a driveable truck again /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

That is not a full time transfer case, prolly no lockouts because of the auto hubs....

The reference to the 14b SF is right on the money....

Look on the bright side, if he gets tired of messing with it, maybe he will sell it to you 4 cheap, and you will know what to do.....

5. conoverbandit

Good idea!
    But no body wants to break up axle sets around here, salvage yards here get 1,000 a set no each.

6. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea... find a 14 bolt and slap it under there. you should have no more worries. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif just the hard part for you is finding one i guess..and with the right ratio.

7. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I am goign to go out on a limb hear and say somethign is wrong with the original axle! Either you are not getting it cleaned out all the way or it has some bad bearings that is throwing the R&P off and chewing up the gears. Who is setting up the rearend and were the bearings replaced when you put new gears in?
    We have had about (4) 3/4 ton vans(2 conversion and 2 cargo) and also , my blazer and a few other vehicles with 10 bolts and towing alot. None of them ever had problems. The vans were used to pull our boat every weekend in the summer which weighs close to 5K lbs.... I have hauled Blazers and farm equipment with these. Also I have friends that have 1/2 ton trucks with 10 bolts that haul large tractors with a gooseneck trailer and alot of other heavy equipment with no probelms(and horses too)....

I think you have a problem in that rear. Bearing or it is not set-up right or something. If you can find a 14SF, that would be a nice upgrade.. But if you stick with this axle take it somewhere and have them check the whole thing over before doing the gear swap.

8. conoverbandit

My dad is the one setting it up.we replaced the bearings at the carrier,they came with the deluxe kit we orderd. but he never completly pulled out the axles and checked the outter bearings.Note before he dissassembled the thing this time we jacked it up and I grabbed the driver's side tire and I could move it forewards and back more that I thought. I did'nt think they are supposed to do that. I told him possibly the outter bearing was the culprit the first time and he just did'nt check them.Sigh.........more $$$$$$ /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif