Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help from another state! Smog diagram

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Liberator, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Liberator

Liberator 1/2 ton status

Ok, thanks to "scuby do" in LA I now have everything I need to get my K-5 registered in Communist CA. Everything except a smog sticker. How can I get my hands on a FEDERAL emissions sticker, not a CA sticker? Can't get them in CA or from LMC. Already went over that in a previous post! Can I even get a Federal sticker for an '81 K-5, or are they all CA emissions?
    Thanks in advance for any help!

Bo

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

OK they can not be removed and transferred, as I am sure you have already dicovered, but you MIGHT be able to get one through GM still. I know that they can be had for newer cars and trucks, I am just not sure how far back it will go. Worst case get a radiator support from out of Cali and put it in. I have a spare support, but its for a 1986 4.3L (V6) K10. Wont do you a bit of good, but thats an idea. Check w/ GM Parts and see what they can do.

3. Liberator

Liberator 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help! GM Parts will only sell me CA Smog. The radiator support is a new idea though. The only problem is, finding someone that has a support with the right sticker! 1981 K-5 blazer with a 305? Anyone? This is gonna be tough!

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Why do you need the sticker? I live in CA and have a federal emissions package on my truck (truck is from WA originally), it doesn't have a smog sticker, the VIN has a code in it of some sort that tells them what emissions package it should have. Maybe something changed between 78 and 81, but I think you should be able to get by without the sticker. Sorry if I missed some obvious detail, I'm not familiar with your previous post on this topic...</font color>

5. Liberator

Liberator 1/2 ton status

Hmmm! I've never heard about the VIN thing! I hope it's not in the VIN! When I called the DMV about the inspection, they said the emissions equipment sticker had to be present. I assumed the sticker is what the DMV would use to check the SMOG equipment. Do you have any more info on the VIN # ?

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I don't have any more info on it, just my own experience. If I were you, (and I don't knwo the whole story here, sounds like maybe your truck actually is a CA truck that you want to make federal?) I'd go down to a place that does smog checks and tell them you're getting ready to have it tested, and ask them to run the VIN on it. They're pull up their little book and tell you exactly what you need to have. this is the same thing that I did, since when I got my truck it had absolutely NO smog equipment on it, not even a PCV or a vapor can, which are both required for federal and CA smog. the dude at the gas station gave me a list of the stuff that I needed, I installed that stuff and passed the visual no problem. The sniffer was another story /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif ... </font color>

7. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

OK then in that case get someone here that works at a GM dealer to get one for you from another state. I recently quit a GM store or I could have gotten it. Twiz works at a Chevrolet dealer in Utah. Maybe he can help.

8. Liberator

Liberator 1/2 ton status

I bought the truck in Kansas while in the military. It didn't have all the equipment, just the evap can and pcv. The exhaust manifolds didn't even have the AIR rakes. I was told, I'm not sure if this is true, that Chevy trucks purchased west of the mississippi were all CA emissions. I'm not sure where my truck was originally purchased. That's why I'd like to try to pass it as a Federal vehicle. Thanks for the help.
    Calling a GM dealer out of state is a good idea too. I still have a few friends in Kansas who may be able to help.

Thanks,
    Bo