Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help from Banks 6.2 kit folks and lift kits for M1008 truck

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by scotty1, Apr 12, 2002.

1. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

I want to hear from you if you have installed a Banks turbo kit for the 6.2 diesel. Good, bad and ugly, how hard to install, how much you paid, how well it has worked and lastly if you would do it again in retrospect? I am seriously looking into a M1008 chevy 1ton truck and need to know if it is worth it. Also I need to hear from you if you installed a lift kit, how much, what cost, and what tires you can run? Thankd much, Scott.

2. René

René 1/2 ton status

It’s a bolt on kit and we’ve done it in 5 hours. With all adjusted and checked on the performance test stand, one day.
    Result: 195HP at 3800@
    389lb/in at 1900@
    6,5psi boost

3. Oblin Goblin

Oblin Goblin 1/2 ton status

It took me alot longer than 5 hours, but if I had to do it again I could get it done much quicker. First I recomned replacing the fuel pump when you install the turbo. It would be best to replece the stock mechanical pump with an electric one because the fuel pump will be nearly impossible to replace with the turbo installed. I also recomend removing the alternator during the installation, it will make alot of things easier to get to. The most agravating parts of the whole instalation were rerouting the fuel lines to get them away from the exaust components and installing the exaust. Buget plenty of time for both. I wasn't too happy with the fit of the Banks exaust. Most of my hangers didn't line up even though I was supposed to be able to use the stock exaust hangers. After I was done there was a 1/2" gap in one of the joints that had to be welded shut. You might want to replace the head gaskets. You may not need to, especially if you don't have alot of miles on the truck. I did since my truck has 200,000 miles on it. You will aslo want to check the crankcase ventelation system and the rear main seal. My rear main seal blew right after I got the turbo installed. I've been very pleased with the way its worked so far. I only wish the turbo was wastegated so it made more boost below 2000 rpm. I got mine from Diesel Injetion Service for $1650. Unfortunatly DIS doens't carry Banks products anymore so I'm not sure where you can go to get one.

4. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

Thanks fellas! I am still figuring out what everything will cost in time and money, I want to install the Banks kit myself partly for the experience and also to save some cash. I will let the local truck shop do the suspension work since I am short on the heavy artillery I need for those components.

5. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

How much lift and what size tires do you want to run?

A CUCV has 1 ton axles, so you could run tires up to around 50" and still have enough axle to do it./forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Generally, 4" lift means you can fit 35's with a little trimming of the fenders and 6" you can fit 36x12.5's with a little trimming of the fenders. Goes on from there, but more mods are necessary as you go up in lift size and tire size./forums/images/icons/cool.gif

6. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

I am thinking of the 4' lift with the BW fender cutouts to clear 36" tires, the diff ratio in these trucks is 4:56 so I would not want to go much bigger than 37". I want to keep the mods to a minimum of what is necessary.

7. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Sounds like a plan on the lift man./forums/images/icons/cool.gif Wish I had the sense to grab a CUCV when I was in the Marines. My unit got rid of several. They all went straight to San Diego's DRMO lot./forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Hard to argue with a 6.2L, TH400, 1 ton axles, Detroit, and 4.56's./forums/images/icons/cool.gif Beef.

8. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

You can still bid on them as they come up on auction periodically, check the DRMO or GSA sites. The one I am looking at is an ex-radio carrier owned by a guy who has a military equipment/vehicle company, he rents his trucks/stuff out to movie studios.