Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help from CK5, need to save a K5

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84CUCV, May 10, 2006.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

There is a bone yard in way south jersey with a complete 72 k5. I asked if i could buy the whole truck. he said after 30 days they turn the title back in. Did say i could buy it for parts, what would happen thow if i try to put it back on the road? This is the first time i got to really look at a year like that. I am in love. Must have it. Any ideas? Can this be done at all??

as always thx

2. jmeador74

jmeador74 1/2 ton status

You can always apply to get a salvage title... but one would wonder why the salvage yard themselves didn't just turn the vehicle around and sell it as opposed to getting a salvage title and losing value. You may want to take a deeper look at the truck and figure out why, unless the yard will tell you outright.

If you really want it... then I say get it and work with it... just make sure the frame is in good condition and for the most part; straight. Most everything else can be fixed or replaced. The salvage title on the truck will only go to hurt you when you go to sell it. You will never get what want for it. Even if it is pristine once its got a salvage title. Well hope this info helps.

-James

3. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Salvage titles are pretty easy to work with, but the inspection for a "rebuilt salvage" varies from state to state. In most cases, vehicles from a junkyard can never even get a rebuilt salvage title. Once it's junked, it's not going back on the road. However, there's probably ways around it, like getting a new VIN issued from the state or something similar.

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

or, replacing a "rusted" section, which just happens to contain a certain numeric plate. :whistle: im sure someone around here has one that has been cut up beyong needing a title.

5. 84CUCV

That helps. thanks guys I will look for a title here and see what i come up with.

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Call the DMV and ask them what the requirements are to title a "kit car". If people can title those plastic fake cobras, speedsters and crap like that, just do what they do. My truck might as well be a Kit as much time as I spend on it......

7. 84CUCV

I will call and find out thx

8. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Call the DMV and inquire about the vin of the truck. Make sure it isn't stolen or something. Buy it and apply for a lost title.

9. 84CUCV

I will call and find out about that as well. thx

10. 85k5dsl

85k5dsl 1/2 ton status

Most bone yards I've delt with can make more selling it as parts rather than the whole thing. Please be careful in asking for a vin, on another board I asked about one for my CUCV and got bashed big time in some not so nice ways. It would be wise to ask for a junker and then make 1 out of 2.

Mark

11. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

exactly what i was thiking....

12. 84CUCV

that is the way i might go...

13. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

The problem with this is that you'll have to make it up to todays standards on emissions... You may be able to get a bonded title... you'll have to put up a bond for the value of the vehicle to get a title for it.... Talk to the Vehicle registration department in you state.... It's better to go in and get it in writing befor you take a chance on it...

14. 84CUCV

thanks for all the replys