Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help from electrical gurus!

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Txstruck, Jan 5, 2003.

1. Txstruck

Txstruck Registered Member

I have an 86 K30 6.2L Diesel with (2) batteries and (2) 100amp alternators. On my dash I have (2) idiot lights that say GEN1 and GEN2 and I also have a volt guage. The guage reads normal like it always has and I had the batteries and alternators both tested and put new belts on but my GEN1 light stays on and gets brighter when I turn something on. (ie. blinkers or lights) and the faster I go the brighter it gets. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Is this simply a bad ground? I dont believe it is a short because my gauge doesnt peg out or fluctuate and my lights dont flicker at all and are bright. If it is a bad ground, where should I start looking first? Any common places that do this? TIA

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I havent dealt with the dual alternator system yet.
    But usually when the light stays on, it's the diodes that are failing.
    You said the alternators were checked, by you or a pro?
    You should check if the voltage is higher than 14.4V or if under a load, the voltage drops below 13V.
    You definetly have a faulty alternator or regulator.
    I remember those setups had a remote regulator.
    If you do a search on "dual alternators" on this forum you will find a couple of threads that have links to dual alt setups. One of my replies had a great link that I recovered from an earlier post.

3. Txstruck

Txstruck Registered Member

I checked them myself and they were running 14.4-14.5 at idle and under load. That is for both of them!! But only one has the light staying on. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif