Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NEED HELP FROM K5 LOVER'S

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RAZOR, Apr 7, 2002.

1. RAZOR

RAZOR Registered Member

NEED HELP FROM K5 LOVER\'S

hello - k5 brothers this is my first post so please bare with me but i need some help from people that knew what they are talking about!
    I just got done converting my k5 to 3/4ton and i 'am haveing these life threating shakes up front. I rebuilt the danna 44 new rotors/hub's,new ball joints,i even bolted on a rockrod from rockstomper.The truck has had a wheel alliment & the wheels/tires (36x14.5x16.5 kelly safari a-t )the tire's are bias and are about shot. Have been rebalanced w/equile .Yes their is a stearing staybilizer. later from the land of the amish

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Re: NEED HELP FROM K5 LOVER\'S

Rule 1. Fill out your profile. Somebody from here might live close to you to help out.

There has been much discussion on the Death wobble. They say hydro assist steering will cure it.

3. RAZOR

RAZOR Registered Member

I FILLED OUT MY PROFILE ! I STILL NEED HELP GETTING RID OF THE SHAKES !

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Try doing a search on "death wobble". It was a hot topic for a few weeks up until last week.

5. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

No need to yell. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif BTW I told you somebody was close to you. I am in Gettysburg. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I figured you were somewhere around here when you mentioned the Amish. There has been alot of discussion about death wobble but finding the cure is another story. You could try a coil over steering stabilizer. I think Trailmaster makes them and some guys said they helped alot with curing the problem.

6. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

"FROM K5 LOVER'S"

K5 love is good but there's more room for that in a Suburban. Welcome to the sight. From the land of the Mormons and yes everyone, the Amish and the Mormons are NOT the same group, LOL

Tom

7. StonerK5

StonerK5 1/2 ton status

Tires are going bad? Could be that you tightened everything up and now the tires are grooved the wrong way. That might not make sense, but I had the same problem, tried everything...ended up just needing new tires. The death rattle I had was terrible! After the new shoes...nada...well I do still get it once and a while offroad but nothing like it was.

Chris

8. StonerK5

StonerK5 1/2 ton status

Also forgot to say Welcome! Your first post was a good one, the second was bad. Right now your batting .500
    We all try to help each other out around here, yelling with CAPS won't get you too far.

Chris

9. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

Ask who ever balanced your tires how good (or bad) the runout was. This is how steady the tire appears on the balancer as its spinning (Basicly mimicing what it does on your truck) Any slight side-to-side or up and down movement in the runout can make for one hell of a ride problem. Aslo... With your front-end off the ground and your wheel bolted on securely, grad your wheel/tire and try to move (wobble) it. If it moves try to dertermine if its coming from the upper/lower ball-joint area, tie rod ends, or the hub its self (which would be the bearings). If any of these are bad you may have found your culprit. All this can also be applified by a weak (or too small) stearing stabilizer. And check to make sure your front drive shaft is disengaging. If not your problem can also be front U-joints along with bad hubs (or too much grease in the hubs). Your problems could be one or any number of things. Hope this helps. Oh, and welcome aboard!
    PS- I know you said you replaced all this but, the alignment shop could have left somting loose. After you check all that, let me know what you came up with.

10. tom

tom 1/2 ton status

Never had DW, but took a lot of squirrelyness out of mine by installing an ORD steering brace (about $100) to stiffen the frame where the steering box attaches. Inspect the steering gear box bolts for tighness and make sure the frame is not cracked where the box bolts on.

11. RAZOR

RAZOR Registered Member

Hey - Getty.PA wow that is cool . did not mean to yell .i made that post at work on the clock and had to make it quick.
    Thanks

12. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I was just messing with you. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif It really does help to have your profile filled out. Heck I am only an hour from you. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif If you need any help just give me a shout. One weekend soon I have to go to Hoaks 4 wheel drive so maybe we could hook up.