Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help from the engine gurus ASAP!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85m1009, Oct 25, 2003.

1. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

I have a mysterious problem with my engine that no one so far has been able to solve. First off the engine is an 1989 small block that has been changed to a 383. Forged crank, Dart heads, mild hydraulic cam, Jet performance TBI, roller tip rockers, fluid dampner, etc.. Nothing out of the norm.

Now the problem---
    I thought I had a rocker that was making a little noise so I removed the valve cover to adjust it. To my suprise there is NO oil coming out of the pushrods and the roller tip rockers are dry. I have approximately 30 pounds of oil pressure at idle and 60 pounds at 2500 rpm. Letting the engine run for several minutes with the valve covers off I do not have enough oil to even splatter onto the exhaust where normally I would have oil shooting to the inner fenders. I can see oil flowing through the lifter valley returning from the timing chain area. The engine builder stated that it must have a bad bypass valve at the oil filter. I installed a new valve and changed the oil, no change.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated. I do not want to remove the engine if it is something easily fixed. The engine only has approximately 3500 miles on it. It has to be something simple but I have not ever heard of or seen this problem before.

Please help /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Have you checked the push rods? If i understand it the oil comes from the lifters up through the pushrods and up to the rockers...

I guess 16 push rods gummed up or blocked is kind of a stretch...maybe the wrong lifters used?

Rene

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

It WILL take some time for the oil to get to the upper end esp when cold...Once the engine is at opperating temp, can you see ANY oil coming out of the pushrod at the azz end of the rocker?How many miles are on the motor? New Cam and lifters?

4. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

Sounds to me like the builder didn't line up the oil holes on the cam bearings. Isn't that where the lifter oil comes from??

5. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Could be a plugged oil galley...........

6. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

I am going to check the pushrods and check a lifter to see if they are collapsed. I thought about the galley being plugged until I observed another block. There is a galley on each bank of lifters that is 3/8" in diameter. I can not possibly believed that both sides are blocked. The cam bearings run off a separate galley at the top of it. I have let the engine run long enough to come up to temp 15 minutes or so and did manage to get a dribble out of the rear rockers on #7 and #8. The engine has only 3500 miles and runs excellent except for this. The cam and lifters were brand new when the engine was built.

Thanks for all the input! I am sure it is going to be something I have just overlooked as well as every mechanic I have asked has. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. mudjunkie 82

What Viscosity oil are you running? also didyou check both lifter galleys? Sounds like maybe a pump problem. also maybe a plugged oil filter?

8. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

I changed the oil and filter twice as well as oil viscosities(sp?)No way to check the galleys without pulling the engine, that will be a last resort. I am getting great oil pressure so I have ruled out the pump. I am still scratching my head at this point. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. mudjunkie 82

is the problem the same on both heads?

10. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

The problem is the same on both sides. Update....I pulled a push rod and they are clean and unplugged. I started the engine and can observed oil coming up around the lifters so there is oil in the galleys. After letting the engine run for a short time I removed a push rod and checked the lifter to see if would pump up. It is rock solid...could not budge it at all. Sooooo the new question is that if the lifters are collapsed(all 16 /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif)would that restrict oil flow to the push rods. I am not quite sure of the oil path through the lifters whether or not they have to be working properly for oil to flow through them into the push rods. I know this is not the case on solid lifters. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

11. mudjunkie 82

You would know if they are all collapsed, the push rods would all be loose.If the lash" is not set right the push rods will be bouncing off of the lifters and with this loose contact the oil will not go up the pushrod very well.

12. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

IN my 454, when the engine is BELOW opperating temp, it takes a while for the oil to get to ALL The pushrods, esp the front ones...But on mine, once it gets warm, you can see the oil flowing really well..Enough to loose 2 quarts of oil driving 1.5 miles with a messed up VC gasket

Chris