Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help from VA and MD ck5ers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by LittlePig, Apr 15, 2002.

1. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

Which is the better state to live in (I will be moving to the DC area soon) if I have a lifted Blazer (no more than 4" spring lift with 33" tires). VA seems to go by GVW, but I have heard that Blazers are considered station wagons, and can't be lifted. MD goes by bumper height, but it is ridiculously low, and you apparently can be ticketed and required to de-lift the truck. Any opinions would be helpful.

2. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

my blazer isnt considered a station wagon cuz ive been pulled and never got arrested or in legal trouble...that was with my 6" and 35s i was 1 inch over front and rear...all the county and state cops have told me that virginia goes by bumper height and if your bumpers have been modified then they go by frame...the height is based on GVW...to the best of my knowledge under 4500 lbs is 28 front and rear...over 4500 is 29 front, 30 rear...

i have also been told that if you license your truck with truck tags it gives you 2 or 3 more inches of height to play with...im looking into that now cuz im way over

any more ?s let me know...im sure i can find out anything else

Later

3. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I live in VA.

Never had a problem with my 4" and 35's. Plus its really loud too.

John

4. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

i live in md, the law is that the bottom of the bumper cant be more than 28 inches off the ground...with a new 4 inch lift and 33s my 85 was sitting at 24 in the front and 24.5 in the rear...so i added 35s and i'm still legal...only thing that they could pull me over for is that they stick out (i run 35*15's) but with a pair of fender flares they dont care...

it also depends on where you live in md, at my parents house in the country they're real strick and i've been pulled over before, but they measured and were quite surprised and let me go...but now i live right outside of DC, with all the shootings and crap big tires arent a major concern...never had any problems...theres even a guy down my street thats running 39s and never been pulled over...
    so if you're looking in the metro area, your truck will be fine...

also keep this in mind, MD just has an emissions test every so often, but VA requires the entire vehicle to be inspected, i'd be screwed if i had to do that with all the mods i've done...no way my truck will ever pass another full inspection...

good luck finding a place and hope this helps

5. eastk5

eastk5 Registered Member

With your lift and tire combo you will have no problems in VA. the VA state insp. is nothing more than looking at safety equipment. dont get scared by that last statement they only look to make sure all lights are working,wiper blades and wipers, hood latch works, the windshield is not cracked and the kinda stuff that really shouldn't be broke if your driving on any roads. as far as the wagon thing goes i've never heard of that, but who knows..

6. blazen_md

blazen_md 1/2 ton status

I run 35's right now and I am at the legal limit but my friend on the other hand as a 2000 f250 with 8in suspension and 3in body and runs 42's he is waaaayyyyy over and hasn't got pulled over yet.

7. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

my cousin runs a blazer here with 44s on it on the street...he doesnt have much trouble with smokey at all...i think its all in how you drive...if you drive like and a$$hole youre going to get pulled...

with your lift/tire combo you are going to be fine in VA

Later

8. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I live in Howard County and the cops here are really bored. I get pulled over quite a bit. They measured my bumper and told me that I am with the legal limit of 31" bumper height. I have been pulled by Troopers too and they say the same thing. Baltimore city/county dont care as long as you dont have out-of-state plates or in the process of tailgaiting.

9. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

the cops in aberdeen MD love lifted blazers,hate long hairs .
    stay away from fairfax VA,mean cops!

10. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

whats a "long hair" ?

11. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

when I lived in Montgomery county MD I got pulled over twice a day it seemed like with my 36's. then I moved to Ijamsville and never got pulled over. Keep in ming that MD has emissions and when you first register a state inspection. Depending on the station you go to you can get screwed, they try to rob you. Jesse

12. johnny reb

johnny reb 1/2 ton status

My advice is to avoid this area all together! It sucks! I've lived in Alexandria, VA (just outside of DC) for 5 years and I'm moving back to Pittsburgh in 2 months. While it was great when I first moved here to go to grad school, I can't wait to get the hell out of here. The traffic and cost of living will slowly begin to wear on you. I would never recommend this city to anyone. Feel free to email me if you want and I can tell you all about the area.

Sorry I can't be of more help on the lift laws. I'm driving a mostly stock K5 on 33's and no lift.

13. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I never had any issues in MD concerning my lift and stuff. But now, I'm only running 35"s with ~ 5" of lift. and will continue to for street usage. (will have seperate trail tires to tow to the trails). my rear bumper (home brew), is like 32.5" off the ground and my front is like 27" or so....

I wouldn't recommend moving here either, good trails are atleast 3 hours away....(from Columbia, MD (30min north of DC).
    Boss

14. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I live in Roanoke Va, and I don't have any problems. I'm running a 4" with 35's. Supposedly it's illegal to have anything over a 3" block in the back but I'm running a 4" and I haven't had any trouble yet.

15. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

Thank you all for the input. Sounds like I have less to worry about than I thought. One quick question, as I saw emissions mentioned. My blazer will be a 78. How far back do they go on emissions down there? Also, Johnny Reb, I currently live in the Boston area, so the cost of living isn't an issue, nor is traffic. Also, there are even fewer decent trails up here, due to all the ignorant liberal sheep and radical greenies, so it can't be too bad down there.

16. johnny reb

johnny reb 1/2 ton status

I've been to Boston and I thought it was a pretty cool city. Some people love DC and some people hate it. I'm one who hates it. Once the novelty wears off it's nothing more than an overpopulated city with too many tourists. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts after you live here for a year or so. Don't get me wrong, you may love DC when you move here. I'm simply stating my opinion.

You'll understand why I bring up the traffic after you experience the beltway on a rainy friday rush hour.

If you don't mind me asking, why are you moving here? Have you ever been here before?

17. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

Johnny, I am moving because the jobs are better. New England is pretty, but as you say, once the novelty wears off, it is nothing but hordes of tourists and liberals. The housing market is out of control up here because of all the twits looking for trophy homes (almost as bad as silicon valley), and jobs are all but unavailable due to the high concentration of colleges and universities in the area (companies can pay them less to do the same work, and there are always more, so they can dump them when they get close to raise time). I've never lived there, but I have visited several times (not just as a tourist).

18. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

One of my old roomates was from Boston...yall have funny accents up there! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    My g/f's brother moved up there too and another old buddy...they landed some sweet banking jobs up there...They did say that cost of living is horrible though...little apt. was like $1K + just for rent...
    I don't venture down to DC much, even though I live kinda close to it, so I don't really know the scene down there....lot's to do in Baltimore though as far as partying goes....
    Anyhow, as far as emissions, in MD, they do it once everyother year. Once your vehicle is over 25 years old, then you will be emissions exempt...I remember I didn't have to go to emissions for my 75'...
    Boss

19. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

in va beach we don't get stuck with emission checks, it is only in northern Va. Blazers used to be labeled as station wagons becuase they have backseats and therefore weren't really a truck, in Va the actually law, at least in Va Beach is that passenger cars, which technically include all suv's, cannot be lifted, trucks on the other hand depends on GVRW 1/2 ton trucks in va beach i think are 29 inches, 3/4 ton are 30 inches and 1 ton are 31 inches. not sure about the numbers. i have also been told by a local shop that i can put on 38 super swampers and a 6 in suspension lift and be under the bumper limit. right now with a saggy 4 inch lift and 35's i am setting at about 26 inches from bumper to ground.

20. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

MD emissions go back 25 years so your 78 would still be required to go until it hits 25 years of age. jesse