Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help... front axel moved on 89 K5..

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jediknight777, Mar 10, 2002.

1. jediknight777

jediknight777 Newbie

I've lost the horizontal alignment on my front axel... with the front wheels pointed straight: the right side wheel is about 1" back from the fender than the drivers side wheel. What has moved?

I do not want to start taking it down unless I can get idea of how fix it and where to go first...

The truck is in good condition and I haven't hit anything major that I can think of.. well ... except for that curb I hit in Memphis (which was due to a distraction caused by a frisky platinum blond who occupied the passenger seat at the time)... but that was months ago.... God she was fine..

Anyway, the other day, I was racing a 94 Ram Charger to work on a dirt road and my buddy said that my Blazer appeared to be going down the street at an angle.

That's when we checked the position of the axel in relation to the fender and then checked (using a tape measure) we measured the distance from the center of the rear hub to the back of the front tire on both sides a found the discrepancy...

The truck has a slight pull to the right...

Can the stabilizer bar affect the position of the front axel?

I can see no "move marks" where the springs are bolted to the axle. But I do see where the stabilizer bar mounted to the front appears to have shifted back... will this cause the problem?

How do I make it right?

It also has worn out shocks...

What I got:
    89' K5, 4 x 4, 350 TBI, completely stock... and the best vehical I believe God created on this planet that you call earth..

Thanks in advance for the help and I am glad to be here....

jedi...

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It sounds like you broke the center bolt on the one spring. The center bolt holds the springs together and locates the axle.

You'll have to remove the ubolts and jack up the one side to repair it. You'll also need a clamp of some sort to hold the spring pack together so you can get the center bolt snugged up. I would do both sides and replace the u-bolts while you're at it.

Rene

3. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Ditto what Rene has said...
    The center bolt pin is broken...
    4wheel parts wholesaler's sells them.. made by Rancho..

How ya doing Rene? How's tRustyk5 coming along? what's going on with your full -convertible blazer ?

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Guys, I just went and measured the distance from the bumper to the centre of the hub on both front wheels and discovered that there is a 1/2" difference between the two. I also have no evidence of movement anywhere. What kind of difference is allowable? Or should both measurements be EXACTLY the same?

5. jediknight777

jediknight777 Newbie

Thanks for the help guys.

But looking at where the springs are yoked to the front axle, I can not see any 'center bolt or pin' on it. I got a chiltons and I do not see it in the drawings either there either...

According to the VIN and looking in the manual, I got V Series Chassis... and it matches what I'm seeing in driveway.

So what gives here? Is it located underneath the top plate that the U-bolts thread through?

jedi...

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Yes it's under the top plate. You'll see it when you remove the U-bolts and top plate. Clamp the spring first though...or the main leaf will seperate from all the others. The bottom end of the center bolt goes into a hole in the axle perch.

Rene

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

yes it is under the u bolt plate
    you pretty much have to remove the axle to change these.
    lift springs or stockers?
    my huge lift springs are a bit of a pain to get the centre pin in
    i had to use ready rod to compress the spring then clamp it and replace the ready rod with new centre bolt

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

try measuring from something more constant
    such as the front spring hanger bolt

9. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Measure from axle center to axle center. Using a bumper and other parts will not be the most accurate way to measure.

10. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Roger that. I'll check that tomorrow. This post got me wondering because I still have some minor handling issues even though I've gone through the front end and replaced almost everything in the last two years.

11. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

If you are lucky, it's just a centering pin. Measure from the front of the spring to the AXLE housing on each side. These measurements shoud be really close. Hope and pray that it's not in the frame. Also, using a Chilton's manual for anything more complicated than leveling out your sofa or table is a bad idea. They tend to leave out important steps and the ones included are vague or inaccuate. Torque specs and fluid type are where the manuals actually help.