Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Help- Front axle won't disengage

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by snowbelt, Apr 13, 2002.

1. snowbelt

snowbelt Newbie

Need Help- Front axle won\'t disengage

93 fullsize Blazer, 81000 miles
    When I put my Blazer in 4wd, it goes in, but makes noise, like a bad bearing. When I put it back in to 2wd, it won't come out of 4wd until I come to a complete stop. I jacked it up and it still has the noise, but shifts into and out of 4wd normally. The actuator has already been replaced with the updated one last year and seems to be functioning normal. The cv joints, u-joints all seem fine and there is nothing that looks or sounds bad when turning front wheels by hand. I THINK there is something broke/worn inside the axle. Is this a serious problem? I'm pretty mechanically inclined(replace motors/trannys), but have never touched a front axle. I would like to know what exactly this problem is and if I should attempt it, or at least get an idea of what kind of money it's going to cost to repair. The truck is going up for sale as soon as this is fixed. Actually, I had to cancel the ad, because of this. Any ides or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

Re: Need Help- Front axle won\'t disengage

If the pinion seems tight and turns normally and you don't hear noises when turning the wheels are you sure it's not the transfer case. Is it full of oil? drop the front driveshaft and see if the noise goes away, maybe it will help determine where the noise is coming from.

3. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

Re: Need Help- Front axle won\'t disengage

i'm not sure if this will help but on some vehicles to disengage the 4wheel drive after putting it in 2 hi back up 10-15 feet and see if that works of had to do this on numerous older chevs'

4. Re: Need Help- Front axle won\'t disengage

you may have the 208 transfer case, which is noisy when in 4x4, like a winding sound, and to sisengage, reversing usually does the trick.