Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help gov-loc problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Oct 8, 2000.

I've got a got lock in my 82,I started haveing trouble with it today.Well I think its the gov-loc going bad just wanted to get some input.Here's whats going on,when I turn to the left it seems to be locking up.When I apply the throttle it pops and turns free but on the way home tonight when I turned left at a light it poped and started sliping and shutering.Does this sound like the gov-loc going bad or spider gear problems?This is the first gov-loc equiped truck I've owned so I don't have much to work with.Any ideas
    would be nice,thanks.

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

It sounds like something is wrong with the spider gears to me IMHO, I dont really know much about that. Mine went bad before I bought my truck[​IMG]

90K5

2. stephan van leir

stephan van leir 1/2 ton status

The Gov-lock is a unique diff. It is conctucted with spiders, and clutches like many limted slips. The odd part is the cam that controls lock up presure on the disks. The cam spins when there is one wheel turning faster than the other.Now what happens is that the cam locks the disks together after your wheel really gets spining fast and, Bang! you either start spining the other wheel or you break parts. I have also seen them spit the cam and rod off of the carrier. All three times the parts debris destroyed the spiders.
    If you pop your cover to inspect for wear or damage be sure to rotate the diff 360* and check the cam, cam spring, and rod for small cracks or wear.
    Good Luck

3. Thanks,I'm going to pull the cover tonight and check it out.
    I just wanted some input on what to look for when I get it open.

Thanks again for the help.

4. Brians 60s

Brians 60s 1/2 ton status

I by far am not the expert on a gov-loc. I have had many friends who ran them and all eventially failed. It might be
    in your best interest to replace it with something else if
    it is broken rather than to fix it.

TOO MUCH IS JUST BARELY ENOUGH!!!

5. I here ya man,I'm going to have a nice boat ancor soon!!LOL
    14 Bolt baby!!!Time for the good stuff!!LOL