Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help guys I might buy a FORD.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by adamforsythe, Nov 2, 2005.

1. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

Hello,
    Hey guys I have been thinking and I don't know what to do. After all of the work that I did on my '86 my front seal on my NEW TH-350 blew. It was my screw up I should of replace the seal when I got everything apart. I don't fell like touching the truck right now because I am so drained. It is going to cost me around $400 for my buddy over at the shop to replace the front seal and drill out the busted bolt that is right next to the starter on the tranny So I will have all but 1 bolt holding the tranny tight to the engine. I am going to have hil add a new TC.
    I am thinking of running the truck in tell my 21 B-day and buying a 1998-2003 F-350 or F-250 powerstroke. I know it's a ford but it will have the PowerStroke. I don't like ford GAS cars or trucks. It is going to cost me way to much to have both trucks. But I don't want to give up the K5. I am just getting the truck to where I want it. I have the drive train done. Now I just have the inside, body, other junk to take care of.
    What should I do? I know that my K5 is KNOWN around my town so it would not be hard to sell it for 3-5 grand.
    Thanks
    Adam

2. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

$400 seems a bit steep. I would yank the tranny and replace the seal myself. Juat do it carefully, you dont want to knick the driveflanges to the oil pump. It can be removed without disassmbling anything. Only removing the TC.

As for the bolt, Id use a screw extractor, vise grips, drill, whatever it takes.

3. ntx78k5

ntx78k5 1/2 ton status

i've got a 950 powerstroke F350 and have taken it to hell and back twice. Do the maintenence and she will last, over 300K on the clock and still pulls strong. only downside is she is 2 wheel drive.

4. TravisO

TravisO 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you need to learn how to work on your own stuff. Having and breaking a 4x4 is MUCH more expensive if you can't fix it yourself. Also, the depreciation on that PSD is going to be a much higher cost to you than the total expense on your K5 ever was or probably ever will be.
    Travis

5. ntx78k5

ntx78k5 1/2 ton status

Not so sure that is correct on depreciation. Bought mine used 3 years ago, XLT for $8500 its still worth $7000.

6. TravisO

TravisO 1/2 ton status

The depreciation on a $20,000+ truck. Not your older model.
    Travis

7. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I feel your pain. This past spring I got a PSD instead of putting my Chevy back together :blush: Of course... I kept the Chevy.... it will just take even longer to put back together now.

IMO go for a 94.5-97 PSD F350 4x4... they're already fully depreciated. Also, they have serviceable hubs, always have a D60 front, and a normal 8-on-6.5" bolt pattern.