Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help/ideas with a tailgate problem...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by thatK30guy, Oct 6, 2002.

1. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

...for the Blazer I once had and sold to my boss.

It's an '84 with the crank type glass and he asked me last week what to do about it. Said the handle won't crank the glass up and down anymore. Broke in other words. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Anybody have this problem and/or know what to do about it? If he needs parts, what parts does he need to get? And prices, too.

Thanks guys! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

LMC had the crank for my '76, $50. No doubt has it for that one too.

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

tell him to do what im doing..screw the glass..put on a nice truck cap rear door..that fits the cap on the k5 good and paint it to match it..its more durable then a peice of glass, and it locks! i think they should have been sold like this myself..i cant wait to try this idea out! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. StiffRide81

StiffRide81 Registered Member

IF you take out the all the screws that are on the inside of the tailgate.. you'll get access to everything inside. From there you can tell what it is hanging up on.. or if its just too messed up to repair. If so.. you buy a new regulator.. the big metal thing inside with teeth and arms.. You have to take out the old glass and parts and put the old glass in the new parts and hook everthing back up. Once you have all the parts this shouldnt take any longer than about an hour. Or if you are really ambitious.. you can get a power motor and regulator and put in a power window for the rear... that is what I am going.
    Also, make sure the tailgate is in good condition.. if its all rotted out... you will just end up breaking the glass.. due to all the vibrations and stretching....
    If not, you can get a new tailgate pretty cheap at JCWhitney.com. Just tranfer all the parts and you got a new tailgate with a functional.. maybe power.. window! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Does the handle just spin free, like when the key is in the locked position? That's a common failure mode for the manual crank windows. There's just a small pin on the back of the lock cylinder that engages the window crank mechanism in the unlocked position. When that pin breaks off, then the window won't go up and down any more. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif The internals of the tailgate are probably OK. Replace the lock cylinder and it should work again. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif