Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help identifying Dana 60 or 44

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 6.2Blazer, Nov 15, 2000.

1. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

While searching some of the local hole-in-the-wall junkyards, I stumbled across what was left of a mid-70's GM truck. From a distance I noticed it had some large diameter locking hubs so I thought maybe it was a 60 and took a closer look, though the weather was pretty crappy that day and I didn't feel like crawling through all the weeds, so I didn't get a real good look.
    The truck had no markings to tell if it was a K30 and the glove box tag wasn't readable, thought the guy said that it had an utility body and PTO winch, and was single rear wheel.

Well anyway, the question is this axle had the large diameter (as compared to the typically Dana 44's and 10-bolts) locking hub, but the 6 bolts around perimeter of the hub looked to be a larger hex head bolt (instead of the smaller allen head bolts that typically hold the hub cover/dial on). Could this possibly be one of the old Dana 44's with the weaker external locking hubs, and therefore also have the smaller 260-x u-joints....I have never actually seen one of these. Or could this be a Dana 60?

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Is the cover still on the diff? Look by the fill plug on the cover. If its just the fill plug on the smooth cover its probably a 44. If there is about a 2 inch square bulge that sticks out about half an inch that the fill plug is in the middle of, its probably a 60. Its hard to describe, but I hope you understood me OK.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

It could be an old 44, my buddy has one like that.

To see if it is a 60 look at the top ball joint. 60's have a cap with 4 bolts holding the ujoint in and that 44 just has one large nut. On the drivers side, I think the steering arm is also part of the 4 bolt cap and the 60 doesn't have the "boomerang" shaped steering arm like the 44.
    One last plae to check is on the diff. In the "webbing", on the of the piece facing forward will have either a "44" on it or a "60". This will not be ingraved, it protrudes from the housing.

HTH!!!

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

4. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Its not a 60. 60s were used in 1977-1987 one tons, and 1988-1991 one ton crewcabs only. 60s also ALWAYS had internally splined locking hubs, meaning no huge bolts holding them to the hub. 999 times out of 1,000 people are looking at Dana 44s, 60s are that rare. Easiest way to tell a 60 is the 4 stud/nuts holding the steering arm on, as compared to only 3 stud/nuts holding it on on a 44 or 10 bolt.

ken

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Darn, I didn't pay attention to the years just the identifying part. Sorry! :)

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I'm not really sure what year the truck actually was. One guy thought it was an '73-'74 and the other thought maybe '76-'78.
    My next question is, does anybody have a picture of the externally locking lubs on the old 44s? Do they look the same as the ones found on Jeeps? What I mean is, the Jeep externally locking hubs have either 5 or 6 large bolts that hold the locking hub assembly at about the wheel flange, then the hub protrudes out another 3-4" to the cap/dial. Was the GM style the same way.

7. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Yes, the old 3/4 ton 44s locking hubs are very similar to the Jeep's, with 6 3/8" bolts holding the hub on...just on a larger scale. That style of locking hub was used on GM 44s all the way back till 1960, and up to mid-year 1977. No 10 bolt front end had this style of hub from the factory, all 10s were equipped with internally splined hubs.

ken

8. konajoe

konajoe 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Try this out,

Hope this Helps,
    KonaJoe

[​IMG]

9. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

Also, look at the spring perch on the short side of the axle. If there are 2 u-bolts holding the spring on, it is a 44. If there is only one, and the other side is bolted directly to the diff housing, it is a 60.

Email: xiaozhu@my-deja.com

10. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Well, hold on thar Little Pig! I have an IHC 44 front housing whose right side is held on by only 1 u bolt and 2 stud/nuts, so that's not a reliable way of telling. The easiest way, AGAIN, is how many stud/nuts hold the steering arm on...3 for a 44/10 bolt; and 4 fer a 60. And those drawings, while nice, should depict the axle tube protruding from the opposite side that it is currently protruding (it is in error)..not to be nit-picky, but we don't wanna mislead anyone into thinking they've found one of the elusive 60 fronts!!!!!

ken

11. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

Mebbe, but who is gonna put a cornbinder front end into a mid-70s GM truck?

Email: xiaozhu@my-deja.com

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

ken, I'm prolly being nit-picky myself but in the drawing I got the impression that that was the spindle not the axle tube, and if so the drawing would be correct.[​IMG][​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]

13. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Hey yeah, that makes sense! Maybe whoever "owns" the drawing should note that that part is in fact the spindle, so as not to cause confusion (I am easily confused!! Hehehehe!!!)

ken

14. konajoe

konajoe 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I fixed the picture, sorry for the confusion.

KJ