Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help ID'ing and procuring trans for handicaped neighbor

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tys, Oct 3, 2002.

1. tys

tys Registered Member

Need help ID\'ing and procuring trans for handicaped neighbor

My neighbor is in a bit of a bind. He owns an '88 Chevy 1/2 ton standard cab, short bed. It has a 305V8 and a 3-spd automatic. He blew his trans and is in need of a new one. He was told it was a TH375, and proceeded to purchase one from a local company. He handed in his core up front (big no-no) and waited for his replacement trans. Firstime they shipped a Th400, second and third time, they shipped a TH375 but without the electronic speed sensor tailshaft, so it won't work. They ended up giving him $120 for his core because now they can't seem to find it. He came to me after the fact and I'm trying to help him out (he is in a wheelchair to boot, was in a major motorcycle accident 3 months ago).

So, a couple questions. I've never heard of a TH375. Is there such a thing? What's the dealio with the speed sensor, should he have salvaged some parts off his core to make it work? Recommend hitting the junkyard to get those essential parts? Can a new trans be purchased with required tailshaft to work in his truck (he can't seem to find one locally yet). Can a th350 or th400 be put in and if so, what year/vehicle/configuration will work with his 88? All in all, he realizes he should have just had it rebuilt, but will do just about anything to get a new one before winter arrives. Any help you guys can give me is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Chris

2. tys

tys Registered Member

Re: Need help ID\'ing and procuring trans for handicaped neighbor

BTW, its a 1988 4x2 Scottsdale. I just got back from his house. I grabbed the VIN and all the RPO codes to see what it came with stock. Here they are...

A01 A52 B74 B84 C5G C95 D45 E63 F59 GMC GU4 J50 K99 L03 MX1 M40 NA5 N41 N67 SLM UK4 U37 U73 VB3 VG3 VK3 V73 XEV YD3 YD5 YD6 YEV ZEV ZY1 Z53 Z62 18U 6WN 7WN 82C 82I

Any help is appreciated...

Chris

3. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

I posted this in the "Garage forum" so you will get a faster answer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. tys

tys Registered Member

Thanks, I appreciate it!

5. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Check into a 700-R4. This tranny was offered for many years. I believe in '90 they changed the name to 4L60 or 4L80. After that they added an E to the end for Electronic control. Hope this helps.

6. transcore1

transcore1 Registered Member

A TH375 is, to put it simply, a TH 400 with a 350 output. I don't know much about what they came in but I sell the output shafts and tailhousings(the only parts different from a 400) to hot rodders so they can use their original driveshafts(??????) and have a stronger trans. As for the speedo I have a few (pretty rare) factory speedo converters that switch it from mechanical to electronic. I have never seen a 375 w/electric speedo, but I see crazy stuff all the time in the tranny dept.
    www.transcore.net CHECK OUT "About Us" to see our Blazer Project

Hope this helps
    Transcore1

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

4l60E is the name gm switched to in 93, E is for electronic, and always have E on end after 92, 700r4 is name from 82-92
    4l80e is larger stronger o/d in 93 up, kinda like a th400 with o/d

good luck