Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help ID'ing factory rear diff...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jekbrown, Nov 22, 2001.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Need help ID\'ing factory rear diff...

Hey gang, when I had my ff kit put in my rear 10 bolt in my truck...i removed the factory diff in exchange for a trutrac. I was looking in my glovebox at the list of factory options on my 85 Jimmy...and it listed "1G80 Locking Differential" on there...what kind of locker is this exactly? Anyone know? I can snap a digital picture of it if that would help...

Jason

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown

2. Brians 60s

Brians 60s 1/2 ton status

Re: Need help ID\'ing factory rear diff...

Jason, all 10 bolts that I have seen with the g80 code came with a gov lock. They are hated by many and respected by few. sell sell sell, is my advice. a trutrac is wayyyy beter.

IT'S A 1 TON THING.... IF I HAVE TO EXPLAIN IT, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND!!!

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Brian hit the nail on the head. It's the Gov-Lock. I have one in my K30 rear and it works fine. I have no plans to scrap it. As long as it has the proper 'posi-lube' in it, it will work fine.

The GL's for the 10 and 12 bolts, on the other hand, SUCK!!! [​IMG] I had one go south on a 12 bolt and it blew up the whole rearend. [​IMG]

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

4. Brians 60s

Brians 60s 1/2 ton status

I can share with wes's experience as can many others on this sight. I had one in a 94 blazer full size with only 96k miles on it. It took a royal dump and scattered parts which in turn toasted my ring and pinion and shrapneled the diff cover. When I took it apart it looked like a bomb had grenanded inside the diff cover. WAS NOT PRETTY...

IT'S A 1 TON THING.... IF I HAVE TO EXPLAIN IT, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND!!!

5. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

The gov lock in my burb took a crap just a week ago. That and the tranny, along with someone starting it to move it out of the shop with no oil :( This all happened within a week. My burb only has 58,600 miles on it. I am still looking for a gov lock for a 10 bolt, if you are interesdd in parting with your let me know thanks.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Is the 14 bolt SF Gov-Loc any good in your opinion?

I'm ditching my SF soon for a FF with a Detroit, but I would like to know what you guys think.

IMO it's okay I guess but it doesn't lock up well enough in deep mud.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Every 14SF that had a GL in it that I had ran and worked fine. Again, as long as the proper 'posi-lube' was in it and the proper amount, too, it ran fine.

It must be a 10 and 12 bolt thing. Those axles seem to have the worst luck with the GL's. [​IMG]

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

heya,

I am definitely willing to sell my 10-bolt gov-loc. Lemme get it cleaned up, take a look at it, snap a digital cam pic...and then figure out what I want for it.

BTW, I have a set of rear axel shafts, 28 spline, for a 10b also, as well as a ring/pin thats 3.73, if you were interested.

Jason

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown