Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help...Ignition problem in 80 K5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Muddytazz, Oct 20, 2002.

1. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Sometimes you turn the key and it will start, other times you turn the key and absolutely nothing(completely dead system). Battery is 2 months old, took starter in and it tested just fine, replaced ignition switch (not key switch). Is there anyway to narrow down which part of the ignition circuit the problem could be?

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Re: Ignition problem in 80 K5

Cables. Sometimes battery acid gets inside the jacket and rots them out and it's not visiable.

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

oh, forgot to mention that I took the cable off and cleaned them and checked for continuity with my tester and they are good, I can even cross arc the starter and get it to spin with the cables hooked up.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Hmmm Then I would start tracing back the trigger wire from the starter and check for problems. They some times get the insulating burned off on the exhaust and leaves a spot for corrosion to form.
    Might also be a bad switch or a bad starter interupt switch (that only lets it start in Neutral or park). Have you tried running it through the gears then back into park to see if that will let it start? I had some adjustment problems on my shifter and had to hold the shifter up to get mine to start.

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I tried running the shifter through all the gears and still nothing. Damn, guess its time to just start tracing wires.

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

One more try.
    When you have that problem again, don't go to another gear but try to wiggle it, sometimes it's fine adjusting that you need.
    The second thing you want to try is, when it doesn't start, try starting it by shorting the thick cable feed to the starter solenoid avoiding all the cabling to the ignition.
    If that works, then make a setup with relay or buy it from painless. I made mine and I never had a problem again.