Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Help Immed!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by getsome, Apr 17, 2000.

1. getsome

getsome 1/2 ton status

Trying to sell my truck. 79 chevy 350. A guy came to buy it tonight and took it out for a test drive and we made the deal but then the truck won't start!!! I told him that i'd have it fixed by tomarrow. One hour ago I replaced the starter and both battery cables. I get juice but it won't turn over. Lights work gauges show good but it won't turn over. At all!!!! I realy need help tonight. I'll be up all night till 10am tomarrow. Please help!!!

Getsome

2. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Use a screwdriver and jump the terminals on the starter solenoid just to see if it will turn over, if so you got a wiring problem between the starter and the solenoid.

3. scavenger

scavenger 1/2 ton status

Getsome,
    Make sure the cable connections are clean and tight. If it is an automatic transmission make sure it is in park or neutral. If it is in park or neutral try moving the shift lever up and down (a little)while having the key turned to the start position. If it starts while doing this your neutral safety switch may be out of position or defective. Another possibility is the ignition switch may be bad, try turning the key to the start position several times and see if you get any action. Does the starter even try to turn over or is it just dead??? Battery up to the task??? Hope this helps.

4. jmpd

jmpd 1/2 ton status

Check the ignition wire on the solenoid

5. getsome

getsome 1/2 ton status

I've tried the starting it in newtral and wiggling the iginition but nothing. The battery is three weeks old. The starter won't even turnover. No click nothing. Could it be the coil?

Getsome

6. **b**

**b** 1/2 ton status

is the alternator
    grounded properly?
    loose wires///

7. getsome

getsome 1/2 ton status

Should be, the cable to it is new but I should still get it to turn over without the alt. I'll check

Getsome

8. scavenger

scavenger 1/2 ton status

If it won't turn over it is not the coil. Even with a bad coil the motor will still turn over, but usuall not start the motor because of a lack of spark. You may want to do as another person suggested. Make sure the solenoid wire is in the right place, and that there is juice going to it. If your battery, starter, cables, and everything else is good you are going to have to use a test light to find out why you are not getting any juice to the starter. Another thing is just because the battery is fairly new don't overlook that as a possible problem. Maybe your alternator took a dump and the new battery isn't being fed properly...it's happened to me. If you have good bright headlights there should be enough juice to make the starter at least grunt.

9. getsome

getsome 1/2 ton status

I agree. I think that I found the problem. I just went out to try it again and the amp gauge is reading 12volts so I tryed to turn it over again and the ignition switch turned over real easy with no spring back after turning it all the forward. No inside light now either. Thats a change. I think that the ignition switch is bad. Think thats it? It doesn't turn like it use to.

Getsome

10. scavenger

scavenger 1/2 ton status

That could be your problem. If it is you are lucky it wouldn't start because without the key returning back from the start position and starting, it probably would have spun the guts out of your new starter. Most, but not all of the time an ignition switch that is going bad will give you some early warning like being hard to turn, key sticking in the switch, etc. If you have another key you may want to try that, maybe you are like me and have several ounces worth of other keys hanging on the ring causing the ignition key to wear out......good luck.

11. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

Did you go on the test drive with him.Is it some one you know.I've heard plenty of storys about someone taking something for a test drive then all of a sudden there is problems.Then they call back later saying hey if it not running i'll still take but can't give the full price.Not trying to be negative but it's happened.Maybe just being paraniod.Check under dash for loss connections from column or frayed wires where they go thru the column bracket it happened too a suburban i had once.

12. getsome

getsome 1/2 ton status

I'd like to thank everbody for helping me out with my truck. You guy's are fantastic. I don't think that he messed with the truck mainly because he knew next to nothing about cars let alone trucks. His friend did try to tell me that the ujoints on my brand new driveshaft were used. Did Spicer put ujoints on Chevy trucks:) He's having someone come out tomarrow to replace the ignition. The price will be the same if he wants it. Thank you again. Now I have money to upgrade my K5.

Getsome 84 K5 350,35's,4.11

13. getsome

getsome 1/2 ton status

Re: Followup

Well I'd like to let everyone know what the problem turned out to be: I don't remember the correct name for it but it's a "gear" that when you turn the key all the way forward it bumps a "gear" that makes contact with a rod that gives juice to the starter to kick it over. Thanks again for all the help.

Getsome

14. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Yeah, there is like a little rack & pinion set-up on the column that operates the switch that engages the starter.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

15. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the follow up! If everybody posted the final fix to the question they ask it would be very helpfull. I know a litle bit more about the ignition-mechanism now, thanks to you!

[​IMG]