Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NEED HELP! in getting an axle shaft out

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 91gmcjimmyCH_IL, Feb 16, 2002.

1. 91gmcjimmyCH_IL

91gmcjimmyCH_IL 1/2 ton status

I bet most of you know how to do it but for me it is the first time and I'm lost. First off I'll tell you it is a 10 bolt with the gov-lock from my 91. I was going to replace the shoes today and i noticed that the shoes were covered in oil. The problem is the oil seal is leaking into the drums. Well, the problem is I can't get the shaft out. As it stands right now I have the huge pin removed from the diff and that's about it. Is it a C-CLIP design or do I use an axle shaft puller? anyway if you guys could give me some direction on how to get my truck out of the Naval garage it would be real nice.

2. spaceboy

spaceboy 1/2 ton status

Yes your axle shaft has c clips. You'll have to pull the cover to remove the clip. The shaft should come out after that.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I read how to do it one time in my Chiltons, you have to drop the cover, after removing the drum. Take a block of wood, onthe outside the axle were the wheel studs are, and tap it inward with a hammer. The axle should move inward and allow you to remove the cclip, and then pull the axle out.

This is what I remember reading, but I might be missing a step or two. I'm not sure.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Push the axle towards the center of the truck, the C-clip will fall out. [​IMG] Might as well do the other side too while you have it apart. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

5. HarryH3

Oh yeah, take a close look at the area of the axle shaft where the bearing rollers ride. If it's starting to pit, then it's time to start looking for a new shaft. [​IMG] That actually acts as the inner race for the bearings.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>

6. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

IF YOU GET YOUR BUDDY TO PUCH IN AND OUT ON THE AXLE WHEN THE COVER IS OFF YOU WILL SEE THE AXLE MOVING. THEN LOOK REAL CLOSE AND YOU WILL SEE THE CLIPS. FIRST PULL THE DIFF. PIN AT THAT POINT YOU CAN PUSH THE AXLE IN SO YOU CAN PULL OUT THE C-CLIP

I'AM NOT YELLING I JUST HATE THAT DAMM SHIFT BUTTON

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

There is a bearing that relocates where it rides on the axle that could also be used if needed or wanted, saves buying an axle for the moment, especially if someone plans on doing an upgrade on the rear diff anytime soon. 40.00 for a bearing versus 100.00 for an axle.

8. HarryH3

I've tried a set of those. They suck. I took 'em back to the store and got my money back. They don't stay in place very well, as they relocate the actual bearing outside of the axle housing. So now you have leverage working the bearing around, where before it was solidly pressed into the housing. They might be OK as a temporary solution, but if you plan to keep the rig, then you'll get to pay for those offset bearings, then later you'll get to buy a set of good bearings, seals and the new axle shafts that you should have bought in the first place. [​IMG]

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It's a 10 bolt rearend on a truck with an 8" lift here. How long do you think his 10 bolt will last, anyway?

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

10. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

hey harry, not sure what brand bearings you used, but i used the BCA bearings and they are located all the way in the housing just like the originals were, but the actuall bearing sits near the housings edge. when mine were installed there was no part of the bearing sticking out of the housing at all. In fact there isn't much room for anything to stick out of the housing anyways.

11. HarryH3

The set I bought were for the rear of my S-Jimmy. There was an extension of the bearing, that fit into the area where the original bearing had fit. The actual bearing sat outside the end of the axle tube. I was MOST unimpressed with the design.

12. 91gmcjimmyCH_IL

91gmcjimmyCH_IL 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys! I just didn't know where the C clips were because they are hidden untill you jam the axle in. Once I jamed that axle in with a couple huge blows, I could see the C clip and got it out. I love putting time and money into my ten bolt when it will be gone soon! oh well 3 dollar seal.

13. HarryH3

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I could see the C clip and got it out

<hr></blockquote>
    You mean that it didn't just fall out? I usually have to fish around in the drain pan to find the darn things. [​IMG]