Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help in San Diego area

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by grumpy, Oct 28, 2002.

1. grumpy

grumpy 1/2 ton status

I need to install a windshield on my 79 K5 but have never done it. I would be willing to buy lunch if someone watch over my shoulder and provide expert technical help. Anyone???
    /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Slow and easy and dont use anything metal for a pry bar! I have taken out used windows but not installed any of them yet!!!

3. grumpy

grumpy 1/2 ton status

No one? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I can help only if you're close enough /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Well I could give you instructions but being there is always better.
    Well:
    first do you have your windshield of yet? that is the dangerous part but if the glass is broken already you don't care.
    To install, first clean really good the edges because this is what will prevent leaks latter on.
    If the rubber is cracked or hard replace.
    If you have a chromed or black trim on the outside edge of the rubber seal, remove it now. Now get a nylon rope 1/8 to 1/4" thick, I usually put some oil on it to make it a little slippery, start at the top center of the windshield, stuff the line in the groove all around the windshield and overlap a few inches, I sometime overlap the whole top side.
    Then you need someone to help you place the windshield against the opening with the loose ends of thr rope inside the cab, and one should be on the outside pressing firmly on the edges as you pull slowly the rope in, this will lift the edge of the rubber seal over and inside the edge, keep moving the pressure where the rope is being pulled all around till the lip of the seal is all the way in.
    Then if you have it you put the trim, in the outside groove to lock it in place, starting from one end stuffing it in the groove and pressing on it inch by inch.
    Repeat if not successfull, you will get the hang of it pretty quick.

If you didn't understand the instructions, PM me I can probably explain it better.

5. Great78burb

Great78burb Registered Member

I have never installed a windshield before, but I would be willing to help you out with an extra set of hands if you still need it. Let me know! /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif