Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NEED HELP IN SO CAL

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cojnit, Feb 13, 2003.

1. cojnit

cojnit 1/2 ton status

My engine is seemingly running quite poorly. I installed this engine myself and have exhausted my knowledge on how to get it to run smoothly. I am in need of someone who knows more about engines that I, who can take a look and listen to it.

It is makeing some knocking sounds when I mash the pedal. If I put super in it the sound get milder, almost non existent.

The other things are, It is either leaking oil, or burning it, and it sounds like there is either and exhaust leak, or a vaccum leak.

If Anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated. I live in the Santa Monica Area, but I think the truck could make it about an hour away from there in any direction.

2. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

There's a guy driving a 1st gen out by me (Sunland, 45 minutes from you) that knows a fair bit I think. He's not on the board too much but maybe if you send him a PM he could help you or point you to somone who could. User name is 71blazin.

3. cojnit

cojnit 1/2 ton status

Does he have a name or should I just address him as 71?

4. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

His name is Matt. Correction on user name: 1blazin71

5. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

is the motor new or used? did you build it? what is your timing? what compression does it have?

6. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Sent ya a PM

7. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

If it knocks when accelerating but when you run high octane it doesn't do it as bad I would suspect the timing... recheck your setting and double check you are not 180 out on the distributor..

8. cojnit

cojnit 1/2 ton status

Well the crap went down last night! A nut fell off the steering column and is now lost, and because of this my column was sagging on one side. I dont know if it was this problem, or the rain or what, but the truck wouldn't go into third gear, unless I "finessed" the auto lever. With all of this going on I developed a huge oil leak and limped it the 10 or so miles home with a large smoke cloud arising every time I mashed on the pedal. The underside of my truck was covered in oil. there was so much oil on the starter that it shorted out when I went to start it. Thank God I have a red top Optima, otherwise my old battery would have sent me a letter as it left me high and dry.

Anyway This all being said I am now extremly frustrated and don't know where to begin with the damn thing. I woulld love to get this truck going again because it is a fun truck when it runs, my concern is that I cant put the kind of money it will probably take me to take it to a shop and have them break it all down and get it to work again. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif