Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help/info on lift, axle swap etc.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Dieselmh, Dec 27, 2001.

1. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

I know that this is the wrong board, but I didn't have much luck on the 1st gen board. It seems like the 1st gen stuff is harder to find, but I really need all the help I can get. Here's my original post.

OK, here's the deal. I have a 14 bolt FF that I bought from Brians 60s, and will be doing a rear disc conversion on it. I am picking up a D60 the 2nd week of Jan, and then I'll be ready to start the major undertaking. I want to add an 8 inch lift, run 38 inch mudders, and still be able to drive it without getting vibrated to death. I am looking to gain as much knowledge about this as possible before I start. I was wondering if someone could tell me exactly what I'm headed for. Will I need to clock the axles to get better driveline angles, or will shims work? I know I'll need longer driveshafts, but will I need a CV in the rear? How much/how will I lower the transfer case? What other problems will I run into? I'd really appreciate all the help/tips that I can get. Also, can you tell me where to go to look for a good 8 inch suspension lift for a 1st gen? I don't want to get ripped off, but am willing to pay more for a better lift. I live in Texas, so I mostly mud, but some flex would be nice. Also, how hard would it be to do a crossover steering setup at the same time, and does anyone make a complete kit? I've done some searches on these subjects, but most of the results were for newer models, and I want to make sure that I get the right info/parts. Thanks again for the help.

Diesel

Shouldn't it be called uncommon sense?

2. big75jimmy

big75jimmy Registered Member

I did a 3/4 ton swap the same time I did the 8" lift. I had to drop the t-case about two inches to get the rear driveshaft to even bolt up. When goin from 12 bolt to 14 bolt the rear driveshaft should be close to the right length. Other than swapping the rear u-joint you shouldn't have to mess with the rear driveshaft. For rear lift I used 2" Skyjacker add-a-leafs and 5" Superlift blocks. Pinion angle isn't bad but it vibrates over 40 mph. In the front I used 8" Superlift springs and 1" longer shackles. The springs came with a shim attached to them for pinion angle. The front driveshaft is a little short but it bolts up. Needs a longer one definately, but since you are going with a dana 60 it will probably be ok, but will need a bigger u-joint on axle end of drive shaft. My blazer is a 75, but this should help. As for lifts I think only Superlift and Skyjacker make an 8" for first gen. Hope I helped.
    Aaron

3. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

Thanks man, that's a lot more info than I had.

Diesel

Shouldn't it be called uncommon sense?