Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need HELP. K5 stranded on freeway - it died

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ben B., Sep 1, 2006.

1. Ben B.

Ben B. 1/2 ton status

I went shopping in a town around 40 miles away. Get there fine. Coming back the K5 was fine rolling along at around 65mph in overdrive, it's raining if that matters, and it suddenly just DIES. Absolutely nada. I smelled a burning smell and all the power just went out and the truck quit running. After that it wouldn't even turn over, the lights still worked though? I've got no idea whatsoever, and the K5 is stranded on the freeway 40 miles from here.

2. Ben B.

Ben B. 1/2 ton status

EDIT: it's a 350 TBI

3. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ya might give a city or at least a county location. It'll help. :D

4. 02turbogixxer

02turbogixxer Registered Member

OK here is what you got to do.

You are going to need to get some stuff together before you get started.

You need:

a pair of needle nose pliers
    roll of duct tape
    large crescent wrench
    two flashlights incase one doesn't work
    4 lemons (the sour things you eat)
    test light
    battery charger
    rocking chair
    impact gun (preferably 1/2")
    compressor
    large pitcher of water
    some scotch tape
    ink pen
    set of 4 phillips head screwdrivers
    4 flat head screwdrivers
    grinder
    12mm socket and ratchet (13 is just too big and 11 is not enough)
    some sugar
    if you have any spare parts to your ride grab those as well
    large piece of poster board
    and finally a cell phone.

OK here is what you do. Take the cell phone and dial 411 and when the operator comes on ask for a towing company. Once you tell them where your truck is take the pen and scotch tape and begin labeling everything I listed with a price. Not too high or they wont sell quick. Then make a FOR SALE sign with the poster board. Finally take the sugar, pitcher of water, and the 4 lemons and make you some lemonade and sit and relax in your rocking chair while you make money to pay for the towing service.

Seriously though. Try to get your truck off the highway before you even begin to work on it. There are some crazy drivers out there and you never know when one of them might slam into you while you are under the hood or doing something because they are watching you instead of the road.

5. sarasotausmc

sarasotausmc 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

6. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

what about the modular in the distributor Ive heard it just goes out with no warning

7. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

yep... and the ignition coil.. that likes to go too. while you're in there, check those battery cables too..

Tom

8. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

The module in the dist isn't going to cause it to not turn over. Its something like a total failure of the battery or maybe the fusible link.

9. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

my votes fusable link... I've seen old ones take in water and pop...

10. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

main ground bat cable?? The little wire off your bat to the rad support could be enough to run the headlights but when you try to crank it isn't and the burning could be that wire. Seen it once before. My 400sbc was driving to town and it hackfired and died ended up being coild but that wouldn't cause a so turn over problem

11. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Around here CHP will tow it away if it sits there for more than 24 hours so if you can't get someone to help you out soon just call a tow truck.

-Avery

12. Ben B.

Ben B. 1/2 ton status

Got towed home this morning..Just gotta get wrenching now. I've had alot of people tell me it was a fusable link. More stupid electric stuff that ruins everyones day.

13. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

worth repeating..

I blame the retarted GM factory setup for the fusible links for frying 90% of them--that metal condiut pipe bolted to the bellhousing heats the wires up,the hot exhaust manifold roasts them--and the insulation eventually gets brittle and cracks off,and the wire touches the tube,and POOF goes the fusible link!..many of those conduit pipes get left off or ditched,especially when headers are put on...and its a sure bet those red power wires will touch and burn on the headers,roaching the fuse links..

I run the 2 red wires with the fusible links that usually bolt behind the positive cable on the solenoid back to the battery positive post instead--right at the battery!--JUST LIKE GM USED TO,in the 1960-72 trucks!..they never had a problem with the fusible links in those years,why they felt the need to complicate things is beyond me..my starter has 2 wires on it--the purple "crank" wire,and the positive battery cable!...thats all it needs,and all that should be there !..

I find every truck I moved the wires on cranked faster!--most of the time the wires need to be extended to reach the battery though...they are usually burnt to a crisp anyway,so its a moot point..:crazy: