Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help kinda quick !!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JimmyJuneau, Sep 14, 2002.

1. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

Where is the ignition switch at on my truck? Can you tell me where its at and what I need to do to change it out.
    Thanks Brian

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It's on top of the steering column, under the dash. There's a steel rod that attaches to it, which is moved my a mechanism up near the key. But before you dig in and change the switch, what's the symptom? Many times a problem with the lock cylinder is confused for a problem with the switch.

3. JimmyJuneau

Ok I looked up under the dash and wasnt able to find where its at. I have already bought a new one so I know what it looks like but I cannot find it. is it in the column? DO I need to take the steering wheel off to get to it? or is it unxder the dash and on top of the column where I just cant see it. If it is on top of the column under the dash how can I get to it do I need to take the steering column out of the truck?

4. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

it is bolted to the top side of the column under the dash .just about where it goes under the dash .

5. HarryH3

You can reach it by just dropping the column away from the dash. There are just a couple of bolts that hold it in place. It's hard to see, but it is right on top of the steering column. There a metal rod that goes to the switch. It's the same sort of rod that you'll find in the various linkages inside the doors.

6. JimmyJuneau

Will I need to dissconnect the column from the under the hood of the truck? Will unbolting the column missalin anything?

7. HarryH3

You can usually get it to drop a few inches without messing around under the hood. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif If you need to drop it further, you can remove a few bolts from the attachment plate down at the firewall, where the column goes through. But you still shouldn't need to disconnect the shaft from the steering box.

8. JimmyJuneau

Ok thnaks Ill give that a try tommorow.