Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need help..no power to my sterio hookup!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bryguy00b, Apr 10, 2003.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i dont have any power when i test it with a test light to the plug that connectes to my cd player. the fuse checks out good. what could be the problem? i have no other electrical problems besides the horn not working..any help would be greatly appreciated...i miss having a radio lol!

2. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

Try tracing to the source where your deck is connected to and start there beginning with the fuse block. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i know but i dont know how to test the wires. i would have to cut them wouldnt it? should i cut the cd player harness of and test the actual wires on the stock wire harness? there is a speacial plug for the cd player that is spliced onto the origianal wire harness for the cd player.

4. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

If its spliced to the original harness, I would start with the "radio" fuse on the fuse panel. Another option if you dont want to waste time troubleshooting is to run a new power lead straight from the fuse panel. hook it up to "accessory" if you want to use with ignition or to "battery" if you want to use without ignition. Just make sure you fuse the power lead with the correct amperage fuse..

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

so ur saying run it on another socket? could you tell me how to do this exactly? i dont know much at all about electrical stuff...it confuses me like crazy lol! how do i run a new power lead straight to the fuse panal? is that just one wire?

6. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

If youve never done this before maybe you should take it to a shop, but yeah, its just one wire(fused) to the fuse panel, find an empty accessory socket and plug it in, you also need to make sure your ground is to metal and your memory wire is connected to constant power or battery.

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok but what about all the oter wires..on the harness? what wire do i plug into the fuse panal? and were do i plug it in?

8. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Replace yor horn fuse... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifI had a speaker that grounded out and blew the horn fuse and that fuse is needed to get juice to you readio...

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

the horn fuse checks out ok though,....

10. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

any other ideas? the guy said it did work befor so it has to be something that could have gone wrong after it was wokring right. i have no clue!! and tracing those wires is easier said than done!! could it be a conflict with something else? the only other thing that doesnt work is the horn.

11. straightBOGGINnMY74

straightBOGGINnMY74 Registered Member

WHAT KIND OF CD PLAYER IS IT?

12. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

13. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

That's probably your problem.

If it's a sony then your screwed. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. straightBOGGINnMY74

straightBOGGINnMY74 Registered Member

I AGREE.....GET AN ALPINE....I'VE HAD AN ALPINE CDA-7875 FOR ABOUT 3 YRS NOW, AND HAVENT HAD ONE PROBLEM. AN ALPINE WILL COST A LITTLE BIT MORE, BUT IT'S A BETTER CD PLAYER! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif IF YOU HAVE ANYMORE QUESTIOS, PM ME, OR GET WITH ME ON AOL!

15. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

there are ports labeled
    BATT and IGN, use them, they always work great /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

easy to hook into with crimp on spade terminal ends /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

i used my IGN port to run my new HEI wire in the 81 yesterday and now the truck seems to not have the hiccup on deeper acceleration problem anymore /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif