Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NEED HELP NOW!!!!!!!!!!!! F**KING FLEXPLATE IS GONNA KILL ME! (update)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by muddysub, Jan 3, 2003.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

OK i just fought with the tranny and t-case all f**king day and when i got the old plate off i noticed it has a balance weight on it and my new one doesn't!!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif this would mean that my engine is externally balanced (right???) and that this new flex plate is for an internally balanced engine. (right?) i need help NOW! i need the suburban running tomorrow or sunday at the latest! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif will this new flexplate work with my engine or do i need a different one???!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

update: my engine is externally balanced, i went to national performance center and got the right one so i'm set. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif but now it's too phuqing dark to do anything. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2. unsane

unsane Guest

Re: NEED HELP NOW!!!!!!!!!!!! F**KING FLEXPLATE IS GONNA KILL ME!

is it a 350? if so they are internally balanced. only 383 and 400 are external i think.

3. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

If this is for your 89 and its a stock 350 it has a external balanced plate. The newer ones have this, I ran in to the same problem when I had a 88 burb. All the old 350's where internal balanced. Not sure of the cut off year

4. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

yes sorry tbi 350 completely stock

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You need the one with the weight. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

6. BlaznRebel

BlaznRebel 1/2 ton status

OK i have an 86 blazer and the 305 was externally balanced. When i built my new 383 i had it internally balanced at the machine shop but i had it done with a counter weighted flexplate therefore i still had to have a counterweighted plate. Moral is get one with a counterweight or it will rattle your engine apart. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

7. BCB2

BCB2 Registered Member

blaznreb, is the flex plate attached when the motor is balanced? I guess I don't understand why you would still need a flex with the weight if the motor is balanced internally. I have never had a motor balanced (or built for that matter,yet) so I am just trying to learn the ins and outs of this. I know the 400 in my bogger needed the weight, but since the truck is a four speed the balance weight was a seperate part bolted on with the flywheel.

8. JAXSTER

JAXSTER 1/2 ton status

On 86+ One peice rear seal the flex plate has a recall The weighted flexplate is the Latest due to a Vibration even if the crank is Balanced.

9. HarryH3

Your bottom end was balanced at the machine shop, but it's externally balanced. That's what is meant by having a balance weight on either the flexplate or the harmonic balancer. An internally balanced engine has all of its balancing weights inside the oil pan (i.e., the crankshaft counterweights). /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

10. HarryH3

When a shop balances the rotating assembly, it first weighs the pistons, to find the lightest one. Then they remove weight from the others to match the lightest one. Next they do the same thing with the connecting rods, weighing both the small ends and the big ends and matching them up. Now they know the weight of each piston, wrist pin and rod assembly.

Next they attach bob weights to the crankshaft that simulate the weight of the pistons and rods and also attach the harmonic balancer and the flexpate or flywheel. Now when they spin it up they will be balancing the entire rotating assembly that will be installed in the vehicle. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

11. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

If you take your engine to a shop to have it balanced and they don't ask for YOUR balancer, flexplate, and/or flywheel run and find another shop.

John