Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NEED HELP NOW!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by EDGE, Sep 23, 2000.

1. EDGE

EDGE Registered Member

My good friend blew up her rear axle today just driving down the road.She heard a loud bang and then some clanking and then no sounds at all.When we pulled the differential cover off and drained the axle,it looked like someone threw a grenade in there.Half of the teeth on the ring and pinion were sheared off.Local shops want too much for an axle rebuild,they also want too much for install of new ring and pinion.We've found an axle for sale that might be the same ratio but we're not sure if it will fit.Her axle is a 10 bolt for a 1/2 ton and the one we've found is a 14 bolt from a 3/4 ton suburban.Can we make this work?what will we have to do to make this work?

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>What year is the Suburban? Is it full-floating or semi floating? If it is a 73-91 burb it should bolt right up. if its 8 lug you will need to change the wheels. I have a set of 15x10" whitespokes and they fit over 3/4 ton drums.

http://www.chrisd71k5.coloradok5.com <font color=blue></font color=blue>

3. EDGE

EDGE Registered Member

The burb is like a 78 or 79.Will the existing brakes work?What about the driveshaft u-jount?

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Some mods will have to be done to make it work. the year you got is a 8 lug. The drive shaft will be to long by about 2 inches. The mounts are the right width but just be sure to get the top plates because they are different. Now with the front. If the burb is a 4x4 then all you need is the spindles, hubs and backing plates off the front axle and you can make the axle you have a 3/4 ton version. Then you need wheels. 15 inch wagons with a slight off set and some grinding on the caliper can be made to work so that you can run a 15 inch rim and not have to buy new tires.
    Now there is a 6 lug Semi floating 14 that came in the subs in the late 80's and will except your rims so the only mod left would be to shorten the drive shaft. If your not making a trail truck then I would say your best bet is the SF 14 or even a 12 bolt. No matter what you do unless you put another 10 bolt in your going to have a drive shaft length problem.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

5. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

It would be cheaper amd easier to rebuild the existing 10-bolt

6. 82K5

82K5 1/2 ton status

if you can get the numbers off of the axles i can probably tell you when it was made and what gear it has, maybe.

Phil in K.C.

7. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

Where are you at?I have a rear axle out of an '80 truck that would bolt right up.It has 3.08's I believe.I would let it go cheap.I am in Parachute Co.Brady

'73Beautiful Disaster