Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help on 383

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NITRO, Jan 16, 2003.

1. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

i planned on sending my engine in and getting it machined, but first had some questions. first off, how much did u pay in machining costs? did u hafta buy n e other parts such as oil pan or n e thing else that will hafta b changed for it? do i use the stock con rods? hopefully i can take my time on this, but if not i might just hafta make this one into a 355 then start on the 383 when i get money/time. i really want one cause of the sheer power and torque. thanx for all the help.

NITRO

2. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

IIRC I bought a rotating assembly for $899 (or $1099 with Hypereutectic pistons). Then I spent another $250 for machine work on the block to clearance the stroke - that was a great deal. Plus all the rest of the rebuild pieces there was more money for honing out .30 over. Mine only needed .20 but I couldn't find the pistons in this size.

No other mods outside of the block and the rotating assembly.

I understand the stock con-rods are good. Provided you don't plan on going above 5k rpms and they check out for spec and magna-flux. The bolt heads / nuts will need to be ground down for clearance.

Good luck.

3. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

You should use an oil pump drive shaft from a 400 and have the rod caps drilled and tapped to use bolts instead of nuts and bolts... You will also need to use a 400 Harmonic balancer and Flywheel too....

John

4. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

well, looks like the only machine shop that is even close to do this is in indy. plus its $2800 for them to completely do it. so i guess ill just go with a 355 and put about 10.5-11.5:1 pistons in it. thanx for the help

NITRO /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

why not run a 6" rod 355? it would produce a very broad and flat torque curve.

6. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

nitro, you running pump gas in that 11:1 engin? have you seen the engin kits at www.speedomotive.com? When i build the next one for the jimmy i going for the longest rods I can afford. 6" all the way!! long rod will help with the high compr too.