Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help on a lift(extra stuff involved)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NewK5Guy, Sep 6, 2001.

1. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

My 84 k5 has what I believe to be actually only a 4" lift on it. There's no way it's a 6" like the guy who sold it to me said. Maybe the 4" PLUS the 35's make it a 6". Anyway, I want to swap in a TRUE 6" lift with rear springs. I've been pricing them for the last 2 months(the Superlift looks good). It will see mostly street driving with the occiasional beach or trail/gravel road/off the beaten path driving. No rock climbing, stump jumping, or river crossing. I'd like to know if the stock driveshafts will handle a 6" lift. I plan on upgrading to braided extended brake lines already. I decided not to get the Rancho RS9000 adjustable shocks I had originally planned on so I need to research a shock choice as well(mostly street driven but will be called upon to tow a car on dual axle trailer). The lift on the truck has a transfer case drop installed so I suppose I can leave that alone. It looks to be dropped about 1" or so(I'll have to measure). There also appears to be a raised steering arm installed as opposed to a dropped drag link, but I don't know how much raised it is. I will be retaining the 35" BFG MT's. I would go with an 8" lift, but am afraid of the cost of ancilliary parts(new driveshafts, etc). Pretty much, the rear slip yolk on te 208 scares me the most(hate for that thing to slip out). So, shoot me some info. If I can retain the driveshafts, great. If not, what's the going price for a custom set? What's a good shock choice, both for the 6 and 8" lift? Where can I get a set of extended brake lines or should I have a local shop fab me up a set? Thanks fellas!

2. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

the 6" extended brake lines are at www.summitracing.com part # exp-7220 and the driveshafts are both going to be to short. you can have the front one tubed for less than a $100 at a local machine shop or a ujoint shop look in the phone book and call around. The rear one you can use the 208 yoke but the dsaft is to short. go to local junk yard and find one the right lenght (but I doubt it) or one that is longer out of any car or 2wd truck, then take it to the machine shop and have it cut down for you for about $45-50. the steering I can't help you with

3. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

You will likely need to extend your driveshafts if you lift 6". When I went from a 4" lift to a 6" I had alot of spline showing on the d-shafts and ended up having new ones made. You could probably get the extra lift you want from a body lift. As for the rest of your questions I'm not sure I've got a decent answer :) I've seen large variation in driveshaft prices but I don't know if thats just a local thing or if its national.
    Good luck,
    -Aaron

___ __ _ _ ____ __
    AGM73k5 -- ajgm1@yahoo.com

4. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

Hey randy been a while man...my 6" superlift all spring lift i had on my blazer didnt require any driveshaft mod...i have the same 208 setup you do and it was fine...i got some 8" springs on the front now and my front shaft is still fine but i am extending it...my rear with the 6" was fine...driveshaft never slipped out...ill give you a call sometime man...summer was crazy sorry i lost touch...

Later

Have you driven OVER a Ford lately?

5. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Coopertwpk sells some nice looking oem style stainless lines. Hes reasonably priced too.

6. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

When I did my lift I saw the splines on the drive shaft after it was hooked up. I interpreted this to be a bad thing and had mine extended but I have limited knowledge of driveshafts :) Do you have spline showing on the rear shaft? Is there some sort of way to gauge whether or not a driveshaft is too short? Certainly if it doesn't reach it is too short but is there some point where while it does reach its extension has a negative impact on its function/durability?

___ __ _ _ ____ __
    AGM73k5 -- ajgm1@yahoo.com

7. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

no spline was showing...the lift only pulled the shaft out about an inch or two after i dropped the t-case...i did notice that when i flexed it up it pulled out a bit and bound up on me so i am going to add cvs in the shaft and upgrade u joints...basically the set up that jesse from high angle does...

Later

Have you driven OVER a Ford lately?