Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help on a part time conversion

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by puckhead, Aug 16, 2006.

1. puckhead

puckhead 1/2 ton status

I have a 76 k20 camper special and I want to convert it to part time it has a 203 t case what parts do i need to complete this?

2. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

I got the MileMarker part time kit. It installed pretty easily and I have had no problems with it in the 5 years it's been in. Make sure you get selectable hubs too.

3. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Take a look in the "Product Review" section. There's a great article on the part time kits. It's a pretty simple install.

4. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

5. chevy wrangler

chevy wrangler 1/2 ton status

what does a part time kit do?? sorrry for the youngin question

6. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

The output shaft on a 203 has spyder gears just like a differential. The part time kit just replaces the spyders with solid metal blocks so the differential action is eliminated, making it part time 4x4 instead of fulltime.

7. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

you can also get the full shaft kit. its a good bit more cash, but it makes the case stronger in the end and has less driveline play.

after installation, you end up with the option of 2 low...VERY handy on the trails.

8. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

The down side of the conversion is that oil is no longer slung to the rear output bearing constantly because you've made it a "PART TIME" t-case. Just remember to run it in 4 wheel drive with the front hubs unlocked for about 20 miles every 200. I just pop it in 4 high every time I fuel up and run it about 10 to 20 miles to keep the rear output lubricated.

9. chevy wrangler

chevy wrangler 1/2 ton status

how do i know if i have a part-time 203?? it has manual hubs and when it is in 4-hi lok i can unlock the hubs

10. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

My '79 came with the cheeper PT option already installed. Those blocks put a huge load on a tiny needle thrust bearing and mine went away. Once it does that you'll hear a rythmic 'ge-ding, ge-ding, ge-ding" which is the locking part of the center diff trying to lock while moving. :eek1: :eek1:
    If you're going to keep the 203 I highly recommend springing for the more spendy conversion kit.

Or you could "convert" it to part time by putting a doubler in there. :wink1: :wink1: :wink1: