Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help on basic stereo for '72 K5

Discussion in 'Audio' started by gjk5, Aug 27, 2004.

1. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Need help on basic stereo for \'72 K5

I need some advice, I am putting on the soft top this weekend and tested the stereo with my shop speakers and it works OK. I want to buy some speakers this weekend to go with the CD/rec. which is an OK Kenwood. I was thinking some cheapie wal-mart pioneer or like 6x9's in those wal-mart boxes for the back and replace the dash speakers with similar type but I guess 4". I want to know if I need an amp for any reason and the best way to wire this in a 1st gen. with no carpet (rhino-lined).

Any suggestions are appreciated.

2. cochino12

cochino12 1/2 ton status

Re: Need help on basic stereo for \'72 K5

Personally I wouldnt even bother with the dash speakers, with the wind and rest of the road noise they will distort long before you can hear them well. As for the rear 6*9's the boxes should be fine. Amp, depends on what you are doing with your stereo, if you just want some tunes and dont need much volume save yourself some money and run them off the deck. If you want more sound get an amp, its easier to blow your speakers by under powering them than having too much power.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Personally I wouldnt even bother with the dash speakers, with the wind and rest of the road noise they will distort long before you can hear them well. As for the rear 6*9's the boxes should be fine. Amp, depends on what you are doing with your stereo, if you just want some tunes and dont need much volume save yourself some money and run them off the deck. If you want more sound get an amp, its easier to blow your speakers by under powering them than having too much power.

[/ QUOTE ] Yeap, destortion destroys speakers.

4. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

So just the two 6x9's should be OK? Or should I put some in the doors too? As far as the amp goes, I really just want to make sure it's loud enough to hear with the top down over the road noise, not looking for any ghetto fabulous sound out of it.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    So just the two 6x9's should be OK? Or should I put some in the doors too? As far as the amp goes, I really just want to make sure it's loud enough to hear with the top down over the road noise, not looking for any ghetto fabulous sound out of it.

[/ QUOTE ]If that's the case, just get headrest with built in speakers.

6. cochino12

cochino12 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    If it were me I would put some in the doors, try it without and if its not enough you can always add'em later.