Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help on cam choices.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 77k5bogger, Feb 12, 2003.

1. 77k5bogger

77k5bogger Registered Member

Hey all I have narrowed it down to two chioces for cams to go in the 350 im building. Either Compcams xtreme4x4 cam or Crane cams Truck power cam. I am going to be using a edelbrock performer manifold, rebuilt quadrajet. I am going to be using the engine for mostly mudding and trailriding with the occasional drive on the weekday. If any of you have any input on these cams or use them please reply with pros and cons of each. Oh yeah the engine is going to be going in my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif Thanks in advance, Derek

2. 77k5bogger

anybody??

3. 98sub454

98sub454 Registered Member

what kind of compression and heads are you running??

also do you have the specs of the cams?

4. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

lunati 276/284

5. 77k5bogger

I am running stock heads from a 75 compression ratio is 9.7:1 I think, specs on the extreme are duration 210*/218* lift 447/.462" on the crane are 210*/216* and 440"/.454".

6. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

A lot of people run the Comp Cams 4x4 extreme cams - and most are happy with it (from what I've heard). However the numbers for the Crane cam sound pretty good. Here's what I'd do: give Comp Cams a call - tell them what you've got, and what you'd like it to do/what you're going to use it for. They'll suggest the right 4x4 extreme for what you want. And then...just flat out ask them about the Crane cam you're talking about. See if they'll give you any reason why to pick one over the other. Whatever you do, you should end up happy with the result - both sound like they'll be a big improvement over stock.

I'd be happy to run some stuff through Desktop Dyno for you, unfortunately I'll need more info about the cam than what most cam manufacturers offer. I need the Lobe Center Angle and the Intake centerline figures in addition to the intake and exhaust duration and lift.

7. jtpepper

jtpepper Registered Member

I run the exact same X-treme cam and can say I'm X-tremely happy with mine.Good power all around.GOD Bless,jtpepper